Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, ive been wanting a remote start for a while now but cant seem to find one i like, maybe because i havent had any real experience with any, i have 2007 F350 king ranch 6.0L im looking for a simple unit that has an alarm with lock/unlock and start, the truck the truck has keyless entry now from factory. i was looking at the ubits that you can use your phone but i dont know if itd be worth it or work that well. i havent installed a remote start either any advise? suggestions?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I have a Clifford alarm remote start it's been in for a couple of years with zero issues I think I paid 300 installed for it. Two way pager style remote the works pretty far away when I'm in line at Wally word I fire it up it will start it from at least a 100yards away if not more. The remote alerts you if the alarm goes off and if the truck is running and if it is armed or disarmed. I was gonna do the viper that works with your phone but the sales person told me this had better range

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I forgot to mention the best feature you can leave it running and take your keys and set the alarm when making quick stops it will run for ten minutes then it will shut itself off

·
"Slap hands slap hands"
1,488 Posts
Clifford's are great like 2D storm said I went with the Clarion UNGO and is in my opinion close to if not the same as Clifford. Words of wisdom don't install this yourself pay to have it done I installed stereos and alarms for awhile and these are the most difficult things to install in my opinion out of everything I did. There is a lot of work and wires, brain, wire tapping and stuff that goes into it. Just pay the couple extra bucks for install. I have same results as 2DStorm with range, monitor the vehicle with pager and what the issue is if the alarms goes off etc... I have run these on 4 different vehicles and never had issues with them just make sure they put in the timer delay since it's a diesel so it doesn't try to start before the glow plugs can warm up.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would they automatically know to set a timer ? I should get in touch with an installer shouldn't I?

·
Registered
271 Posts
I like the units from Crimestopper and would also use anything from Directed (Viper, AutoStart, AstroStart, Clifford, Pytyon). I have installed a few for myself, friends and family. The crimestopper units have an "autotach" mode that works quite well and keeps you from needing to find a tach signal. Just stay away from the no-name cheapos on ebay or Bulldog units.

A few things to think about:

-The phone ones are neat but will require you to pay a subscription of some sort to keep that function working.

-The unit should have a delay start timer for diesels. The Crimestopper units I install can either use a timer delay or will tie into the WTS light on the dash.

-Don't buy one of the add-on units that lets you use your factory remotes. I can't understand the point of these units since most factory remotes have a very short range.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Mine waits about 20 seconds then it fires up, plenty of time for the gp to cycle in any weather

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a viper and it has an adjustable delay. Mine is set at 20 sec as well. The only thing I don't like about mine is the rechargeable two way remote. The battery doesn't last very long. That is my only complaint though.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I got that problem too I keep my factory key fob in a hidden key box just in case the battery dies and I keep the extra alarm fob in the truck. My truck has been broken into a couple of times so I took all the lock hardware out of the doors and put rear handles up front so no key holes anymore they will have to break the glass if they want in. I also have my alarm hooked up to my air horns. Come and get some. We have castle law in tx. Basically you can shoot first and ask questions later your truck is an extension of your home no matter where it's parked. I love Texas

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i think im gonna look into a cliford alarm, dam i gotta move to Texas! thats one thing im paranoid about is my truck getting broken into, especially have so much money already into the stereo, subs, amps, and gauges

·
"Slap hands slap hands"
1,488 Posts
I got that problem too I keep my factory key fob in a hidden key box just in case the battery dies and I keep the extra alarm fob in the truck. My truck has been broken into a couple of times so I took all the lock hardware out of the doors and put rear handles up front so no key holes anymore they will have to break the glass if they want in. I also have my alarm hooked up to my air horns. Come and get some. We have castle law in tx. Basically you can shoot first and ask questions later your truck is an extension of your home no matter where it's parked. I love Texas
LOL love it Nevada finally got in touch with this recently but you have to be in your vehicle and you have to show signs of being threatened but it's a move in the right direction. I miss the good ol Colorado law that's similar to Texas. Great idea to hook it up to your air horn don't think that would mull over to well with my truck being parked in a hotel parking garage in Vegas and going off probably give someone a heart attack and I'm going to do it just because of that haha. I did the same thing with my Tahoe door handles when I had it I recommend that for anyone great preventative for your truck being easily quietly broken into.

·
Registered
49 Posts
From personal experience, I only directed products. I was an installer at a car audio store. Directed products have incredible features aside from simple keyless entry and remote start/security. Customer service is excellent and the products last a long time. Although somewhat pricey depending on models and features installed. Id say Clifford first and viper second. I have friends with them still working in vehicles I installed almost 10 years ago that have had zero issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Viper all the way, i originally had it on my 96 powertroke, they had to set a delay for it. When i sold that truck i took the system off and put it on my new 2000 7.3. And on my new truck they didn't have to set a delay, viper actually has a wait to start wire, and they tie that into the wait to start light, so when the wait to start light goes off, the truck starts. But he said he couldn't attach it to the earlier power strokes because he seen them mess with the fuse or something on the light, but the newer ones don't have that issue. I have not had an issue with it ever, and i bought it in 09. it has about 2000 ft range, i only got the one way remotes, so if you press it you just hope it started or you might be able to see it started because it turns the runnings lamps on. Definitely have best buy or whoever install it, Best buy has life time warranty on install. And if you get it at the right time, they will have a promotional of free install.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
are you guys paranoid about other people " punks and careless people" touching your trucks as much as i am? i think that would be the only thing stopping me from having a place install it, i dont mind spending a couple hundred bucks on peace of mind

·
"Slap hands slap hands"
1,488 Posts
I sure am I will only take my truck and boat to one stereo Shop they are the only ones I trust with anything like that, guy owns a body shop as well. I would never go to bestbuy or another mainstream chain store for a install like this. I am the same way about maintenance and repairs too have 1 mechanic for my boat 1 for my truck don't trust anyone else with them. Too many $hitty shady corner cutting people out there. To boot there has been people I know have there vehicles stolen or stereos/wheels and tires stolen shortly after a shop puts them in and I can't help but think it has something to do with where the work is being done. My brothers cherry red beautiful 68" ford truck was stolen this way, he took it in for some repairs and we are pretty sure they made a copy of the key and a day later it disappeared from in front of his house. They had his home address listed right on the work order. That was a sad sad day for him our grandfather gave him that truck and it was in amazing shape prob never find another like it without investing a substantial amount of money.

·
Registered
166 Posts
storm which clifford system do you have? i have a vipor but no remote start and i want one..

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Let me check I'll let you know

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Clifford 5704x 570.x

It says a one mile range I believe it! I know I can start it in the sporting goods department of Wally World when it's far out in the lot. It's two way and will tell you it fired up

1 - 20 of 21 Posts