Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed an Arctic start (Compustar brand) remote start/alarm on my E99 F250 7.3 & I'm having "starting issues". I've installed remote starts/alarms before so I'm sure everything is wired correctly.
Problem doesn't happen all the time??? Had engine sensing wire connected to "tach" wire to instrument cluster & every thing was working. Alarm functions properly, truck would start up on first try after WTS (glow plug delay wire connected to WTS at instrument cluster) light goes out. Then it started "short cranking" would do that for the preset 3 tries quit. Would initiate "start" again & it would "short crank" again once or twice then start up. So I decided to wire the "engine sensing" to the alternator wire instead of "tach" wire. My logic behind this is because the tach reads some RPM's when engine is turning over, so I assume the remote start may have sensed those readings & thought the truck had started. Truck ceased "short cranking" once wired to alternator & it would fire up on the first try. Then all of the sudden after two weeks it went back to not wanting to start up on first try. Would try 3 times then I hit the "start" button & after 1 or 2 tries it would fire up. So I decided to wire engine sensing wire to an injector wire. Worked for awhile now its going back to the not starting on first attempt again.
Any body have any ideas as to why it will not "fire up" on the first try? Temps haven't gotten below 28* since I installed alarm/remote start. I know glow plugs come on b/c I have an "LED" wired to GP relay to let me know when it goes out. Any help/suggestions would be great.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I installed an Arctic start (Compustar brand) remote start/alarm on my E99 F250 7.3 & I'm having "starting issues". I've installed remote starts/alarms before so I'm sure everything is wired correctly.
Problem doesn't happen all the time??? Had engine sensing wire connected to "tach" wire to instrument cluster & every thing was working. Alarm functions properly, truck would start up on first try after WTS (glow plug delay wire connected to WTS at instrument cluster) light goes out. Then it started "short cranking" would do that for the preset 3 tries quit. Would initiate "start" again & it would "short crank" again once or twice then start up. So I decided to wire the "engine sensing" to the alternator wire instead of "tach" wire. My logic behind this is because the tach reads some RPM's when engine is turning over, so I assume the remote start may have sensed those readings & thought the truck had started. Truck ceased "short cranking" once wired to alternator & it would fire up on the first try. Then all of the sudden after two weeks it went back to not wanting to start up on first try. Would try 3 times then I hit the "start" button & after 1 or 2 tries it would fire up. So I decided to wire engine sensing wire to an injector wire. Worked for awhile now its going back to the not starting on first attempt again.
Any body have any ideas as to why it will not "fire up" on the first try? Temps haven't gotten below 28* since I installed alarm/remote start. I know glow plugs come on b/c I have an "LED" wired to GP relay to let me know when it goes out. Any help/suggestions would be great.
My dad has a CompuStar on his 05. Had to take it back to the shop 3 times for it to work correctly. Problem was the "engine sensing" wire hooked to the tach. They finally switched it to the alternator wire. Working great for 2 years now.....knock on wood.

Have you checked the output of your alternator? Possibly weak?

·
Hood Rich
2,874 Posts
Mine does this also, but only right after i shut the truck off and try to restart it via remote starter... Trucks hot, I pull over go to store maybe 5 minutes, try to start, it short cranks, than retries and is fine after that... So I am also interested in whats up

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine does this also, but only right after i shut the truck off and try to restart it via remote starter... Trucks hot, I pull over go to store maybe 5 minutes, try to start, it short cranks, than retries and is fine after that... So I am also interested in whats up
If I find out any thing besides on this forum I'll let ya know. Wanna install Drone mobile so I can just start it with my phone (no more key fob & start/arm/track it any where), but would like to solve this first.

·
Registered
96 Posts
you should be able to adjust the crank time if u have access to a compustar programer. you can also do this with the key fob but its a PITA. check the Installation manual for "OPTION PROGRAMING" it should be in Option Group 2

·
Registered
136 Posts
It's a brand new alternator (put it in 2 months ago). Did your dads truck start up first try with the key while he was having those problems?
Yes. Started fine with key. Ironically, he swears it starts better with the remote then the key now. My cousin put the same remote on his 7.3 a year ago and hasn't had any problems either. Same shop did his.

·
Registered
357 Posts
dang I was hoping that droid mobile would just hook in with my present remote. but another 375 plus 30 a year, not so cheap as I had hoped. If the price was right I would do it for both the truck and her car

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dang I was hoping that droid mobile would just hook in with my present remote. but another 375 plus 30 a year, not so cheap as I had hoped. If the price was right I would do it for both the truck and her car
The Drone Mobile unit will work with most remote start/alarms, you just get more options when its used with a Compustar brand. $375???, Sonic Electronix has it for $249 all day. Can get warranty added for $10-15 that covers basically any thing to the unit.

·
Hood Rich
2,874 Posts
I have a Prestige Remote start but I want to add alarm and mobile start/tracking... What system should I go with that will work with the already installed system?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Installed a Powermaster Ultra Duty starter to turn engine over faster (since I can't program how long it cranks) & so far haven't had any problems. Starts up on first try now (knock on wood).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.