Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Peon Extraordinaire
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my program was proposed to be cancelled by Obama. As a result, I started shopping my services around to see what is out there. As it turns out, my job is safe regardless of what Obama does with the budget. Well there are a few opportunities that I am considering and I have an interesting dilemma...

I have the opportunity to relocate to Oklahoma City for the same pay. All of my family is here in Colorado at most 2 hours away. My wife has some extended family in the other Oklahoma City. It would put us about 10 hours away from my family and about the same (closer than now) to her immediate family (southern Indiana). According to the cost of living calculators, OKC is supposed to be ~13% cheaper to live. The biggest difference is the cost of housing. So the question is...

Would you relocate for the same pay, knowing that it is like a 13% pay raise (due to cost of living) that would allow you to get a house with some property?

Sam

·
Registered
329 Posts
Thats what I am doing..... Moving from FL to NY... not the city, but the center of the state, cost of living is better and my kids get to have a big yard (2.9 acres). the distance to and from family remains roughly the same for us as we are both from WY and most of our fam is there. Our thought is if we can provide for ourselves better (cheaper) daily then we can do more on our free time.
my .02

·
Moved in
1,008 Posts
For me it would be a no brainer. Move. See if your employer will cover your moving expenses and closing costs. I am currently on the wrong side of a move. Moving from GA to WA. Uncle Sam doesn't give me any more $$$ to cover the higher cost of living.

Thats what I am doing..... Moving from FL to NY... not the city, but the center of the state, cost of living is better and my kids get to have a big yard (2.9 acres). the distance to and from family remains roughly the same for us as we are both from WY and most of our fam is there. Our thought is if we can provide for ourselves better (cheaper) daily then we can do more on our free time.
my .02
Where in NY? I am surprised cost of living is cheaper than FL. NY is having a lot of finacial issues right now.

·
Gandy Dancer
5,972 Posts
A big part of the equation, for me, wouldn't be just the money but............also the actual location itself.

Since I'm not really sure where in CO you live now, it could be quite a bit different scene.

If you think you and the family could be happy with getting away from the mountains, it sounds like it could be a good move for you financially.

Good luck.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
No vehicle inspection in OK. Big plus. They do have state income tax though.

·
Peon Extraordinaire
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For me it would be a no brainer. Move. See if your employer will cover your moving expenses and closing costs. I am currently on the wrong side of a move. Moving from GA to WA. Uncle Sam doesn't give me any more $$$ to cover the higher cost of living.
Uncle Sam doesn't want to hire me... So I work on the otherside helping them... Relocation would be paid for. No assistance with housing.

A big part of the equation, for me, wouldn't be just the money but............also the actual location itself.

Since I'm not really sure where in CO you live now, it could be quite a bit different scene.

If you think you and the family could be happy with getting away from the mountains, it sounds like it could be a good move for you financially.

Good luck.
I am in Denver. I don't really want to move. My wife thinks it would be a good idea. It is hard for me to argue to hard knowing we can get a house and land down there. Still close enough to Colorado that I can visit on my three days...

No vehicle inspection in OK. Big plus. They do have state income tax though.
No vehicle inspection in some parts of Colorado... And we have income tax.

Sam

·
Peon Extraordinaire
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm... Think my company might be monitoring me... They called me in today and pretty much locked my services up. It would be very difficult for OKC to match.

Looks like I get to stay in Colorado.

Sam

·
Registered
329 Posts
Where in NY?
Binghamton, its in the southern tier... South Central. outside of property taxes that are a bit to chew, the housing market is about 1/2 the price.. I am going from a 2k sq ft home with a standard intown ($234K) lot to almost 3 acres and comparible home at $140k....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts