Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my name is Stenley, I’m an autotech trying to fix an issue with a 7.3 engine that starts only with starting fluid, ones you stop spraying it dies. Already changed the computer box but the driver panel under the hood, changed the camshaft sensor, I have good batteries. For the fuel I have a mecanic fuel pomp and it works fine. The glow plug wire on the brown relay by the passenger side is tested with negative

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi my name is Stenley, I’m an autotech trying to fix an issue with a 7.3 engine that starts only with starting fluid, ones you stop spraying it dies. Already changed the computer box but the driver panel under the hood, changed the camshaft sensor, I have good batteries. For the fuel I have a mecanic fuel pomp and it works fine. The glow plug wire on the brown relay by the passenger side is tested with negative
It’s a senior van

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Have you checked the fuel pressure on the side of the filter housing?

Just cranking you should have 20+ PSI and 50+PSI running.

You can check it with just a pencil type tire pressure gauge on the schrader valve on the filter housing. Just wrap the gauge with a rag so that you don't spray diesel all over.

The fuel pump is a two stage pump. It draws from the tanks on one stage and sends it to the filter housing, then it goes through the high pressure side of the pump to the injectors. If the high pressure side is dead then the engine won't run.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No I haven’t check that... I will try to see what’s happening and let you know

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok today I got the tire gauge and try to crank the engine I got 40psi.
it seems like it want to start by itself.
But once I add starting fluid it runs and got back off when stopped.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
OK then you are getting fuel with good pressure.

Check you high pressure oil pump reservoir, it is on the top front of the motor and there is a plug on the top. The oil should be within a inch/25mm of the top the reservoir if not fill it until it is.

Do you have a way to read live data such as the pressure in the high pressure oil lines?

You can try unplugging the ICP and see if it will start.

Also look at the IPR and make sure that the tin nut on it is tight.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good morning I did check today, the oil level on. The reservoir is right where it supose to, but when I take a look at the IPR sensor, the solenoid is loose, I can shake it from left to right

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Stend,

The IPR isn't a sensor... it is what controls the pressure in the high pressure oil system. A loose solenoid can cause the engine to not start. Tighten the solenoid back down and try starting the truck. Be careful on wrenching the IPR nut - it is just a thin tin nut and can be easily over tightened.

Cj

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good afternoon guys I did try to tighten the IPR 19mm bolt, and I put the reservoir back and try to start, the same thing happened no start

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now I don’t know what should I do next
I see a parts by the turbo it looks like the same as the IPR, but it doesn’t have the screw bolt on it.
I changed the computer box by the driver side, changed the camshaft, add oil to the engine because it was low, but I took the radiator out means the system doesn’t have water available.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
You are to a point that you are going to need a scanner to read some live data while the engine is being cranked over to check the high pressure oil system.

Look into Forscan, it runs on either a laptop or Forscan Lite that will run on a smart phone using a ELM 327 Bluetooth adapter connected to the OBD port.

Here is the link to the Forscan Forums page where you can see what adapters work and what ones don't along with other information.

If you are unfamiliar with these engines, they use the high pressure oil to inject the fuel into the cylinders and if you have problems with the high pressure oil system or oil in the system you will have problems starting.

I'm going to be gone for a week or so, so good luck, I hope that you get it figured out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When I connect the scanner it’s like no connection , keep on asking to check the connection and see if the car support obd2....

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
What scanner are you using? Box store scanners will not work as these trucks are not truly OBD2 compliant. Ford used a J-something-or-other protocol - basically they used the "heavy duty diesel" protocol.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
The similar looking solenoid valve down under the turbo is to control the EBPV used to aid cold weather warmups. It is not compatible with the IPR.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
See this plug hanging out under the steering wheel by the pedals
And when I’m trying to start it’s sending little smoke

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I lift the cover off, I check the injectors wiring no positive sign on them, no power...
Means that the injectors aren’t getting any direct and any signal

1 - 20 of 43 Posts