Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here's what's happening, on my way to work in the morning, it was upper 30's I wasn't getting any heat so I kept switch the vent controls nothing. When I finally did get some heat at the floor I switched to dash I got cold air. About that time I noticed the wrench flashing and reduced engine power. wtf. Got to work and shut it down for a few seconds and cranked it back up no more wrench r reduced engine power all was well gpin home that afternoon. But next morning same spot same thing. This time I pulled over turned it off and than cranked back up no more flashing. Wtf. Is this related to not getting heat.? Thermostat? I'm going to dealer next week . But I dont think the power is reduced because I was doing 60 and still had power. I know on my 99 my vent problems were vaccum problems this one not so sure

·
The new dude
195 Posts
Two things cause both issues you are having, no coolant or to much coolant flow. Make sure the coolant is full and pay attention to the temp gauge. If you are full and the gauge doesn't come up I would say the thermostats rubber seals are coming apart. If your not full on coolant top it off and see what happens. Then fix the leaks. The reason the wrench light goes out and doesn't come back on is it now has to complete the conditions to set the dtc again.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok coolant was low filled it, now I'm seeing a leak not sure where the drip is but the drip is coming from bottom left corner of the radiator its to crowded in there to tell where its actually coming from now what happens is there's no "reduced engine power" now about 30 min into a trip the wrench comes on i have oil, i have coolant, sounds good, burns fuel good power is good but the stupid wrench comes on every 30 min or miles. WTF. Ford is getting it next week. Where if any t co.es radiator leaks. And i have a feeling its going to be costly to replace, as in sure that's not covered under warranty
when i stopped the truck to see about the leak, my left front side from the differancial to the tire is wet from the coolant , i guess the air throws it back. Why do i get just a wrench now and no reduced power? Was that from being Lowe on coolant by 3 gallons or jugs? I'm frustrated on this as i know it will coated me i hope its minor, or just the raditor. As I've hear raditors seem to be a common problem on these year trucks?

·
PSN Been daer dun it!
625 Posts
The radiators are known with leak issues. Mine was replaced under warranty....threw a wrench.

·
PSN Been daer dun it!
625 Posts
Ford may be able to remove it...or reflash to get rid of it. seems should be throwing a good code when the wrench is flashing.

·
The new dude
195 Posts
There is three common leak points...the drivers side top corner of the fins of the radiator, the upper hose at the thermostat housing and the lower hose at the engine. If you have a flashlight and can lay on your back you can figure out which ones are leaking. If the hoses and radiator are leaking then the repair is covered under Powerstroke warranty.

·
Registered
14 Posts
There is another common leak from the low egr cooler coolant hose. Rev the vehicle up past 3500 rpm and check for leaked out coolant. Tighten the hose clamp from the bottom of the truck. You would be surprised how many trucks I have seen with this one that gets missed.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm done messing with it, drove my 7.3 today and till i can figure out how i can get it to Ford. Just in case. I tried to see where its leaking and all i can see is a slight drip on the drivers side corner on the bottom. So if its the raditor leaking Thats covered under warranty???

·
The new dude
195 Posts
How many miles and when was the trucks in service date? If the radiator itself is leaking by itself after 36k miles it will not be covered. If it is the hoses leaking or the hoses and radiator then that repair is covered. Silly I know but that is how Ford's latest TSB is setup. Keep us posted on what happens with it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'LL LET YALL know next week, We've been so busy at work, the truck has been sitting for almost 2 weeks, when i leave in the morning the Dealer isn't open yet, and when i past by in the evening its closed. But i'm swinging by there on friday to set it all up. so they can keep it asl long as need be. Thats the exact reason i kept my 7.3. I'll post when they find out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh the truck as 92K. and it went in for that recall bout 2 months ago. not sure about the in service date

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, DEALER CALLED, radator's gotta go, $800 + labor, Also Oil cooler restriction. Cover under warranty. So its not to bad i guess. He told me the oil cooler restriction is caused by coolant scaling, and thats because its never been flushed and changed. should be done every 50k. He also told me when i spoke with when i dropped it off. That if it were him, to do it right. He would delte the coolers. exhaust and change out the head bolts (black oynx) than i wouldn't have to worry so much about it. I'm going to look it into that as i know nothing about the egr and what ever else there is.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts