Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had anybody redrilled the obs wheels to fit the newer 8x170 bolt pattern? I have a set of eagle wheels off of my obs and I was thinking of Redrilling the bolt patter to fit my 08, instead of spending $1,000 on the same wheels.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Probably better/safer to buy wheel spacers with a dual pattern. But to answer your question, never heard of anyone trying to add a 2nd bolt pattern to a set of wheels.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I was thinking of using the same bolt hole pattern, just re drilling the hole pattern .190 bigger. So i would be ob-longing the bolt holes 3/32.

·
Administrator
32,932 Posts
never heard of anyone hacking up a set like that either

LOL

spacers add width of course and not sure what the OBS offset is going to look like on you truck even without adapters ??

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Grinding the slots bigger with a die grinder would be hacking up my wheels. Putting them in my Cnc mill and remiling the existing bolt hole pattern 3/32 bigger and re countersinking them, isn't what I would call hacking

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
If you've got a cncill you can mill yourself 4 adapters instead of milling the wheels. Then you can one day sell the wheels to fit what they're supposed to. I actually wish I had cnc milling machinery a lot. So many possibilities with equipment like that.

·
Administrator
32,932 Posts
no expert here
but I figure your bolt holes won't be round anymore because you needed to change the spacing
from 8x 165.1 to 8x 170mm 8 is the quantity and the 6.5 or 170mm is the distance apart from the furthest opposing hole center see image

thats why i called it hacked because of the oblong holes or crack potential if you drilled new holes between the existing ( dual pattern)
not because you couldn't do it cleanly

also you run into offsets and hub centric lug centric concerns

not all info was aimed at the OP most info is to clarify my thoughts for anyone who reads this so not trying to dumb anything down and offend

and if you had a CNC i bet you would still contemplate buying the open market adapters vs making your own ? I know I would LOL

·
Registered
284 Posts
Grinding the slots bigger with a die grinder would be hacking up my wheels. Putting them in my Cnc mill and remiling the existing bolt hole pattern 3/32 bigger and re countersinking them, isn't what I would call hacking
This sounds like it would work. If you do go through with it, please post pics. I am genuinely interested, as I am a machinist by trade. Good luck.

·
mech 1
288 Posts
I am a machinist as well and I honestly think opening those holes up on a truck with the torque we have is going to lead to broken studs unless when you do open them up make sleeve to take the slack up around the studs other than that go for it.

·
mech 1
288 Posts
He has a cnc he can put new seats and make new nuts It's a lot of work but money or time which one you got more of as long as you cover all the bases bolt slop nut seat nuts and do a quality job know to use good nut stock aim high go for it

·
Administrator
32,932 Posts
well whatever he does to raise the center of an existing hole2.45 mm and make an insert to reduce the hole diameter , make a custom lug nut , seat etc

he has to do it 32 times
one slip of a holding fixture ETC and it's all for nothing

but we all know that usually happens on # 32

LOL

·
Guilty on all counts
339 Posts
I am NOT a machinist but figured I would offer my 2 cents. I had some experience with this on a much smaller 4 lug rim. The holes in the rim had become oblonged and the lug nuts would not stay tight no matter how much I tightened them. I guess the movement kept loosening them up. I had to buy new rims to fix the problem. Multiply that by the size and power of your truck and I just don't think it's worth the risk for $1000.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When I posted this, and things on other boards, it was for information. To learn what other people have tried and done or opinions on how to fix something. That way, other people can do a search for the same thing and form their own opinion on what they want to do. It is a shame, that no matter what you post or who you are, there is always the one guy who always has to bash someones idea or talk sh** about a question someone asks or something they have done, even if its in a section that doesn't pertain to them. My thinking was that I could use an acorn style nut or the kind with a shank on the lug nut (it would be the same thing as putting a sleeve in the wheel) like on weld drag stars. So if anyone has an opinion that is helpful, then please post. If you are the kind of person that has to bash people, then please don't reply to anything I ever post.

·
Administrator
32,932 Posts
bashing sh** talk ?

make what you want out of the responses but no one attacked you
and there is a reason you can't find a lt of info on this conversion

there has been a lot of valid considerations brought up

have you checked the offset yet ? this could shelf the whole plan or actually make the adapter spacers the ideal way to adapt the wheels

the hub centric and lug centric is also a valid concern for you to look into
ps u posted in public forum you get what you get

you don't like it put someone on your ignore list

·
mech 1
288 Posts
Look options are like noses everyone has one anything can be done just have to have enough money and know how different ideas come up with the know how or planing you could say but this is a public sight you get what you get take it with a grain of salt good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had anybody redrilled the obs wheels to fit the newer 8x170 bolt pattern? I have a set of eagle wheels off of my obs and I was thinking of Redrilling the bolt patter to fit my 08, instead of spending $1,000 on the same wheels.
x17
Had anybody redrilled the obs wheels to fit the newer 8x170 bolt pattern? I have a set of eagle wheels off of my obs and I was thinking of Redrilling the bolt patter to fit my 08, inst

it can be done..I bought some Fuel wheels that were 8x165 for my ford sd which has 8x170. bolt pattern..The people i bought the 8x165 said they have a CNC company that will put a steel sleeve in and re-drill the hole to fit my ford..The Fuel wheels were no longer made for Ford but I wanted those rims..so yes it can be done. The spacer is not a choice due to the added thickness which i did not want..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had anybody redrilled the obs wheels to fit the newer 8x170 bolt pattern? I have a set of eagle wheels off of my obs and I was thinking of Redrilling the bolt patter to fit my 08, inst

1 - 19 of 19 Posts