Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had anyone ran the redhead steering box , I wanna get one but looking for more info and feedback before I spend like $550 on it

·
don't play well w others
3,658 Posts
I have one on 2 of my trucks. Glad I bit the bullet. Big improvement.
Make sur all other parts are proper working order too, or you will still be "chasing the issues"

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
worth every penny
The red head box is machined to remove a factory defect ford has in their box that allows alot of "slop" or "wander" to develop over time. The red head box removes the bushing issue whereas a rebuilt box just "resets" the bushing issue.

After years of improving on the factory steering geometry on my BII and after two different "rebuilt or reman" factory boxes I finally went red head...best $$$ spent on that truck, finally handles the road properly.
I would highly recommend their gear box upgrade.

·
don't play well w others
3,658 Posts
I can't tell any "play" in my gearbox, how do you know?
If the truck wanders around all over the road, over steers, and there is nothing wrong with the front end, and alignment is spot on, chances are your box is worn. and adjustment will help, but is temporary.

·
Project Shamu
2,407 Posts
If the truck wanders around all over the road, over steers, and there is nothing wrong with the front end, and alignment is spot on, chances are your box is worn. and adjustment will help, but is temporary.
Mines not too bad, but it looks like I'll be adding it to the list.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I put one in my 2000 f250. Big improvement. This to all the play out of my steering. My only regret is I should have had them drill & tap holes for a hydro assist. I have big tires and it's hard to turn the wheels sitting still.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts