Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Swampy
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was searching for the perfect truck to buy I found it, it just didn't have one of the many things I wanted-cab roof lights. I did some research and found Recon makes a full kit (wiring and everything) for the Super Duty. I've seen posts about it on OBS' but wasn't sure if it was close to even being the same.

My truck does not have a sunroof so I figured it'd be easy enough to do on my own, just wondering if anyone has put the kit in before (#264143AM). Also tips on headliner and pillar removal would be greatly appreciated as well as the best place to wire too. It may say in the kit instructions but I'd rather have personal opinions before I go out and buy them for good.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :shrug:

·
Registered
88 Posts
I bought smoked cab lights from recon and they are great! I did not want to put them in myself, i had them done at the ford dealer and the only charged $150. The lights cost $120 themselves including shipping so I paid under $300 and personally if you don't 1000% trust yourself drilling holes in your roof I would have them do it. I mean its a newer nice truck so i wouldnt want to take the chance not spacing them right or somethin like that I would just pay the couple hundred dollars. Just my thoughts

·
Swampy
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought smoked cab lights from recon and they are great! I did not want to put them in myself, i had them done at the ford dealer and the only charged $150. The lights cost $120 themselves including shipping so I paid under $300 and personally if you don't 1000% trust yourself drilling holes in your roof I would have them do it. I mean its a newer nice truck so i wouldnt want to take the chance not spacing them right or somethin like that I would just pay the couple hundred dollars. Just my thoughts
That's a good point, I guess I should have mentioned the fact that I already asked the dealer, they said $1200...labour mostly for the headliner removal and wiring etc plus purchase of the lights which up here is $150...so I'm still keeping my options open. I've also heard the Recon harnesses are cheaply made and to just wire the lights directly to a Ford harness and install it that way.

·
Administrator
32,930 Posts
no way would I put Recons on a nice new truck

I was sorry I did mine leaky lenses peeling paint ( painted black over shiny chrome )

i would go oem and if u want smoked lenses and LED just buy those aftermarket

·
Registered
271 Posts
Purchase the correct harness from Ford. It is super easy to install. It will just plug in and then there are clips that will just line up with existing holes. You don't have to remove the headliner completely. You just need to remove enough trim to get it to drop far enough up front to get your hands up there. The lights are $18.05 each and the harness should be $40-50 depending on which one you need.

·
Swampy
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no way would I put Recons on a nice new truck

I was sorry I did mine leaky lenses peeling paint ( painted black over shiny chrome )

i would go oem and if u want smoked lenses and LED just buy those aftermarket
Yeah that's what I was worried about;drilling holes in a nice new truck...got me to thinking if it was worth it. The OEM ones are $1200 installed...not sure on the price of me purchasing them myself, I will look into that. :D

·
Swampy
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Purchase the correct harness from Ford. It is super easy to install. It will just plug in and then there are clips that will just line up with existing holes. You don't have to remove the headliner completely. You just need to remove enough trim to get it to drop far enough up front to get your hands up there. The lights are $18.05 each and the harness should be $40-50 depending on which one you need.
I'm gonna remember this post for sure...thanks! :D I would rather do OEM and do it right then cheaper aftermarket crap!

·
Administrator
32,930 Posts
yup grab the OEM from ebay or one of the ford dealers on this site ( cheaper than most dealers ) and go for it

like mentioned some with the older trucks Me included didn't need to drop the headliner just the visors /handles and overhead console no clue if yours is the same without seeing it

·
Registered
377 Posts
For those interested its pretty easy to do. Buy oem lights. The recon look nice at first but when the cheap LEDs go out your going to have to drop the headliner again to replace the entire light assembly. Dropping the head liner isn't hard unless you have the moonroof, and roof console thing. Remove the a pillars by unbolting the grab handles and pulli straight out. Once your done with that undo the visors and the headliner will drop enough for you to get to the roof to install cab lights. Here is a good link for you to follow. I put a little but of clear silicone around the holes I cut to make sure no water got in and to protect the bare metal from rusting. I installed my 2010 cab lights back in early 2010 and a few weeks ago I installed the atomic led cab lights that strobe and when I pulled the oem lights I installed a few years ago there was zero rust!

http://www.emotoman.com/f250/lights/f250lights.htm

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Removing the headliner is easy, I own an auto hail repair company so I've probably done around 15,000+ headliner r&i. The recon light are great IMO I've had mine for 3 years or so they look just as good as the day I installed them. If you need any help on your install or questions on headliner r&i give me a call 469-774-9706 Eric. The liners in these trucks do not crease so you can get away without pulling all the pillars down it will save a lot of time. The dealer runs on shop hours which comes out to about 7.5 r&i time @ $42 per hour should be about $315 to pull it at the dealer. I think they were trying to rob you. The hardest part of this install is light placement I suggest making a template off a friends truck . You will have to drill 3 holes per light. 2 holes for mounting and one for wiring. It sounds harder then it is. If you don't feel like your up to the task I would take it to a body shop , or audio shop install estimate. Install takes about 3 hours so I feel like you could get it done way cheaper than $1200

·
Administrator
32,930 Posts
I haven't done a 6.7 but I agree with Eric ( nice offer BTW) you don't have to completely remove the whole headliners

Eric you've had yours for 3 years thats about when I found condensation in everyone of mine(as I was repainting the black bases that had the paint peeling off of the chrome
( yup)
no fault of mine I only can put the lens on one way and I do not pressure wash my truck and living in AZ you would think moisture would be a non issue

I dried them out once but the electrical circuit boards will probably fail soon and I will get a quality replacement that uses better or OEM connectors that are actually made for to be a connector and not a bulb socket that has no retention to the other half of the connector other than an interference fit

·
Swampy
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Removing the headliner is easy, I own an auto hail repair company so I've probably done around 15,000+ headliner r&i. The recon light are great IMO I've had mine for 3 years or so they look just as good as the day I installed them. If you need any help on your install or questions on headliner r&i give me a call 469-774-9706 Eric. The liners in these trucks do not crease so you can get away without pulling all the pillars down it will save a lot of time. The dealer runs on shop hours which comes out to about 7.5 r&i time @ $42 per hour should be about $315 to pull it at the dealer. I think they were trying to rob you. The hardest part of this install is light placement I suggest making a template off a friends truck . You will have to drill 3 holes per light. 2 holes for mounting and one for wiring. It sounds harder then it is. If you don't feel like your up to the task I would take it to a body shop , or audio shop install estimate. Install takes about 3 hours so I feel like you could get it done way cheaper than $1200
Wow! Thanks for thr major help.
But a reply on the high cost, it's because average shop rate up here (Alberta, Canada) is at the $120 an hour mark. I want to do it on my own just because I like learning so that's exactly why I posted this thread. Thanks so much I'll keep on the research. :whs:

·
Swampy
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
good article and not the cheap Recon comments LOL
Factory harness and lights are almost a definite now. But I may spend the money on a 20" Rigid Bar first. Bought take off wheels and tires for the girl today, same wheels just 2014 Michelin Atx's wrapped on them instead of my studded winter tires so I don't have to swap tires twice a year.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts