Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my dad bought a 08 f-250 crew cab with the 8ft bed with the 5.4 two years ago and hates it because it has no power and gets horrible mileage.

recently he has started to look at 30 ft trailers for a hunting cabin

heres a couple questions, does he

a) try to sell it privately outright? he still owes i think about $28k or so on it

b) take it in and buy a 2010 f-350 diesel, (just drove a 2010 f-350 crew cab, 8ft bed king ranch loaded with all goodies yesterday and could get it for around $45k possibly a little less)

c) wait for the 2011 but wait awhile because he wont be able to afford the payments because of the price of a new lariat ~$60k

d) just live with his decision? try to get the trailer over the mountain passes then would just be on flat ground for the most part

we are a little scared about the MPG of the 6.4, we are hearing it averages around 12 mpg which is usually only about 1-2 mpg better than the 5.4L.

if we were to get it, we would add the gryphon of course as well as CAI and possibly exhaust. What mileage would this be looking at? Would it make more sense to just wait and see what the new 2011 is getting mpg wise?

thanks guys

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
From what I hear the 2011 trucks are supposed to be fuel sippers compared to the 6.4.

His current truck could handle the trailer, but don't expect good mileage or a very good speed towing that size trailer.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I'd get the 6.4 and delete the DPF. It will get better fuel economy and handle the loads better than the 5.4. Not to mention diesels last longer than gassers anyway.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well he has one mountain pass to cross, height is about 3,200 feet i think. then its all down hill and mostly flat ground.

so he can keep the current one and live with it for awhile and see what the 2011 brings

however if he does get the 2010, he gets a hell of a deal on one, which he wont with a 2011

so were just going back and forth now. MPG is a big issue and if the 6.4 would get say 16 mpg with a tuner and CAI then it only gets 6 mpg better than the gas

the 2011 should average 16 mpg stock so like i said its just back and forth

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
GOT WOOD!!!!
648 Posts
That is a nice truck awesome color. It is exactly what i have but mine in 09, i love it!!!!

·
Registered
288 Posts
its a band aid, but i have an edge chip on my f150 with the 5.4 and it is VERY NOTICEABLE. If you only go out there once or twice a year, that's a whole lot of money to pay for what will probably amount to what, four hours saved annually. if that's not really enough for him there is always Squires Turbo Systems - Turbocharged Innovation! and some custom tuning.

micky

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah i have the gryphon on my 08 150, the truck will get get quite a bit of use though, usually about every weekend or every other weekend

idk were leaving in about an hour to go to the stealership

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
well he has one mountain pass to cross, height is about 3,200 feet i think. then its all down hill and mostly flat ground.

so he can keep the current one and live with it for awhile and see what the 2011 brings

however if he does get the 2010, he gets a hell of a deal on one, which he wont with a 2011

so were just going back and forth now. MPG is a big issue and if the 6.4 would get say 16 mpg with a tuner and CAI then it only gets 6 mpg better than the gas

the 2011 should average 16 mpg stock so like i said its just back and forth
I wouldnt want to pull much of a trailer with that 5.4 my mom has one in a f150 and that thing is a dog! id get the 6.4 if it was me put a cold air straightpipe and some sort of tuner. or he could just leave it stock and itd be a rocket to him. with my cat/dpf delete and cold air i got about 1-2 mpg is all. when i was lookin everything i saw claimed like 4-8 mpg improvement and the gains aint even close to that on the On board computer in the higher stages i believe they reprogram cuz it goes up about that much but on the calculator its not close. i can see 20mpg on the freeway on cruise in stage 3 but towing 18k i get 7-9 depending town 11-13 highway 16-20 hand calced. the 6.7 from what i can tell is an awesome motor design and gonna be reliable and put down good numbers but i wouldnt want one for about a year and i bet he'll hate that 5.4 after pullin a couple times. im not sayin he couldnt but it would get crappy mileage and no power. as far as the 6.7 gettin 16mpg stock i can see that on the highway but i bet pullin and in town its going to be very simillar numbers to the 6.4. i know when the 6.0 came out the claimed better mpg over the 7.3 it was worse then the same with the 6.4 over the 6.0... its all what hes up for but i bet he could swing a hell of a deal on a 6.4 over the next couple weeks since the 11 is gonna be on lots shortly.
anyway just my 2 cents. :ford:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah he was going to buy a 2010 loaded lariat 6.4 with an MSRP of $59,360

he told them he would pay $43,500ish but they said they just couldnt do that, so he walked

now reading about the 6.7 it is looking like we might go to that, many people are saying that its averaging 20+ mpg

if the 6.4 can only get 18 mpg or so with a tuner, dpf delete and cai then it makes more sense to go with the 6.7. plus i dont think he is going to want to do the dpf delete because he wont want the big black cloud everytime he steps on it.

the 5.4 will do for now, if he gets the 30 ft trailer he only needs to make it over the mountains once then it is on flat ground and will barely be towed.

im just pissed no one around the seattle area will have the 2011's until june or july when everyone seems to be getting them now.

oh well we will see what happens

·
Registered
290 Posts
I get 18 with my truck no tuner or anything... not even broke in... put a bd PMT on it for fun, and got 20,, still have the dpf on and stock cai

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hmmm really? what is a bd PMT?

i mean this will only be driven on the highway going over to e. washington hunting, 350 mile round trip unloaded. trailers, boat etc will already be over there where it is mostly flat ground

·
Registered
935 Posts
Before the truck in my SIG I had a 2006 F-150 CC with the 5.4. Great truck. I pulled my 28' travel trailer with it and it didnt pull it well at all. gross trailer weight was right around 7500#. And i was lucky to get 8MPG. Now that same trailer, i can get 10-11MPG with my 6.4, and it will pull it over Vail pass or wherever i want without a concern. I also get 18 MPG on the highway dead stock driving sane. My vote would be go with one truck once, either a 6.4 or the 6.7 if you want to deal with first year issues.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Well that is the weird part,, and I am actually getting a little worried about it... I cant remember a regen for at least 10000 km,, so about 6000 miles.... not sure if I should be worried or not

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
mmhmm well there again lies our dilemma, if you can get 18 mpg stock (i know that depends on conditions and all that) what could the 6.7 get? 22+?

i am forwarding all this info to him, hes just worried that if he does get a 10 and doesnt get good mpg then hes kinda in a hole but if he go balls out and buys a 6.7 that gets good mileage hes still in the hole but he can regain some of that money quicker if he averages say 23+

·
Banning Smut
19,093 Posts
So....the truck is unloaded mostly except for a few times during hunting season when it pulls a trailer 175 miles one way, right?

Unless he is a diesel finatic like we are, I would just do a few mods to ease the pain on the 5.4. He'd prolly take a bath if he tried to trade the truck. If he sold it outright, he might see the 28k....but I've seen them go for less.

My Father in law has an 08 f250 4x4 5.4 Lariat with a Superchips programmer. He sees 14mpg empty and 8-10 loaded. (pulling a stock trailer to auction etc).

Now...if its just a matter of "want" on a 6.4 or 6.7 then I completely understand. I dont need one....but I damn sure will have one.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not even one way. We keep all the toys on the other side of the mountains so it is unloaded both ways.

If he does get that 30ft trailer it just needs to get across the mountain pass once.

I think after driving the diesel it's more of a want now, because he could live with the 5.4 but it's just such a dog.

As for what he gets for it here's the deal. He even financed the sales tax which was $3500 so he knows he can't get that back but he's spent like $5000 on aftermarket stuff. So I think if he could get $28k he would be happy but I doubt he can get that.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts