Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Wheres the Spark Plugs?
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I have been reading through your posts trying to sponge up as much of the good info you guys distribute as possible. To say the least, it is a bit overwhelming for a noob. I have acquired a 2000 Excursion with the 7.3, the truck is lifted 10" and rides on 38's. The truck has been geared to accomodate the tire size but is not where I think it should be on power. I pull a 32' Enclosed car hauler with a drag car and am looking to get more out of it. I have had the Edge CTS Programmer recommended to me by a friend running run with nothing but good things to say about it. What would you experienced folk do in my situation? Im not looking for extreme numbers, just emough to make it a fun truck to drive again. Thank you in advance guys!!!

·
<<< Power
3,456 Posts
Power Hungry Performance, and there's a "search" link in the upper right corner. You can search "chip" and read about 500 threads on the subject of who's the best.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
You mention Excursion...any chance you're in California? That makes a difference too.

What would you experienced folk do in my situation?

Set an end-goal and budget now and stick to it. Tell the tuner of your choice exactly what those are and pick which way you want your cat skinned.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
DP-Tuner gets my vote

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
You mention Excursion...any chance you're in California? That makes a difference too.

Set an end-goal and budget now and stick to it. Tell the tuner of your choice exactly what those are and pick which way you want your cat skinned.
Totally worthless. See my sig. Does it look like I stopped at the DP-Tuner tuned PCM with 1 tune only? That was my original goal.

·
Lovin the Tuna
8,353 Posts

Has anyone done that? LOL

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
My excursion tunes are out there now too. If you want some serious power, some specific hybrid injectors and a 38r turbo will get you 450+HP to the wheels and still get as good or better than stock mileage. But with that much power on tap head studs and transmission upgrades are definitely recommended.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
well I am out of truck funds right now so my goals have changed to dreams..
but
dave-at di
matt at gearhead
bill at php
tony wildman
swamps,
beans
jody at dp tuner
and bts all have good tunes.

all of them burn off a 6 pos ts chip except dp tuner which has a 16 pos chip

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Totally worthless. See my sig. Does it look like I stopped at the DP-Tuner tuned PCM with 1 tune only? That was my original goal.
I still have my DP tuned PCM in the truck. I haven't spent a dime on mods in over three years except to update the tunes I already had. When the injectors go away I will definitely "upgrade" to larger, single-shots but not until my current 162K mile injectors tell me it's time.

I've got other stuff to spend money on than a truck that already does what it needs to.

:blah:

Don't get me wrong, I am not anti-mod but a guy should know what the end-state is going to look like and what it's going to cost before he does much of anything.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
That is easy it will look and run great, cost at a min 2x what he expected.
Then he will continue the cycle till it ends
.......... in a mushroom cloud out of the engine or wallet.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I am not anti-mod but a guy should know what the end-state is going to look like and what it's going to cost before he does much of anything.
I agree. Problem is once you get started, that plan can and usually does change. That it doesn't in you or goes slower in you doesn't mean it is the average. Of all the people I knew who modded their vehicles, few really stopped at their point of choice. They either lost interest or had other more pressing things come up or they went way ahead. Again, maybe you could make a plan and stick to it. My point is that few that I know do succeed. Most end up way further than they planned.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I have a dptuner. I made a plan to have a good tow vehicle and stuck with it. My truck has a purpose and when I reached the level of satiafaction I have now I'm done. If I want to go to the drags I can build a complete car to get down the strip in 12 sec. for the cost of just the engine mods on a diesel. Just my $.02. AKLIM is correct though. More times than not it's a train wreck. You can get caught up in it really fast and before you know it you have spent a lot of cash, for what??

·
Supercharged
1,218 Posts
DI, Swamps, PHP, TSD, GAP, TW. They're all good tuners
What he said. Plus all those tuners share the same style chip, so if at a later date you choose to try a different tuner its as easy as sending them your chip for a reburn.

·
Never Fry Bacon NAKED!
367 Posts
Ok, I'll bite. Why does an Excursion in California make a difference from anywhere else?

Stewart

1 - 20 of 111 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.