Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ZF6 with a 4th-5th gear grind and a tail housing in need of replacement. Looking for a reputable shop to do the work. Shops are a dime a dozen... looking for one that knows these transmissions well.

Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
8,278 Posts
Maybe @410customs will know. If not there is a colorado chaptor over on powerstroke.org. they might know.

·
Administrator
8,278 Posts
Also i have this urge to call you udders.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ha, thanks.

At this point you can just call me moron... this damn truck ended up being a much bigger project than I intended!

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Its allright man just see it through!! Once completed then she will be all yours and better than ever

I do not know any 5-6 speed builders in Denver area, I rebuild my own transmissions with the help of a good friend of mine, and he has 2 in the que as of today!
Have you considered buying a new one and swap them out? This is something I can do at my shop if you go that route?

·
Administrator
8,278 Posts
The 4-5 shift could be caused by the cracked tail housing. I would change it out. Or just swap to a new or used zf6. Sometimes they come up for sale in craigslist.

If you didnt know im just over the mountain in grand junction. If i find one here ill let you know

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I call it 4-5 shift, but I guess it's a 5-6 shift! (who uses the granny gear in normal situations anyway?)

I suspect bad synchros. The tranny had a lot of coolant in it... for how long? I do not know. Radiator has been replaced but while it is out... I think I will hedge my bets and just have it gone though. A-1 Trans came recommended by a diesel speed shop. They quoted $1100 to go through it. Didn't seem too bad.

I also have a South Bend 350hp clutch/flywheel and a new clutch fork on the way :)

For never having owned a ford truck in my life I sure am learning a lot awfully quick... mostly never to buy another one! I've had this thing 3 weeks. Paid $4k for it thinking I might put another $4-5k in it... more like another $10k... Going broke over here.. Haha.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts