Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Science rulz
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right so I've been looking into the 4R100 transmission, and it appears to be a pretty easy auto to work with as far as rebuilding them goes. But I'm looking at parts.. I'm planning on getting the Ultimate Red Eagle kit from racerx, with a transgo tugger kit and a PI Stallion.

Well for reference here's the stuff I'm planning on buying;

4R100 ULTIMATE KIT RED EAGLES--ALL EXTRA CLUTCHES & SEAL KIT
40,000 GVWR AUX TRANSMISSION COOLER KIT
RACER X 4R100 CUSTOM VALVE BODY
E4OD 4R100 TRANSGO TUGGER REPROGRAMMING KIT
TRANSMISSION FILTER 4 X 4 E4OD 4R100
RE-USEABLE PAN GASKET 4R100 E4OD
4R100 COMPLETE HEAVY DUTY BRONZE BUSHING KIT
E4OD 4R100 HIGH TEMPERATURE OVERDRIVE PISTON
HIGH TEMPERATURE SERVO PISTON FOR ALL E4OD 4R100
4R100 HIGH TEMPERATURE COAST CLUTCH PISTON
E4OD 4R100 BILLET CENTER SHAFT
E4OD 4R100 BILLET INPUT SHAFT
E4OD 4R100 HARDENED SHELL
OVERDRIVE STEEL PLANETARY GEAR SET E4OD 4R100
BILLET FORWARD DRUM 4R100 E4OD
E4OD 4R100 4X4 BILLET OUTPUT SHAFT

And a Mag hytec deep pan....

Now, this isn't exactly a cheap list IMO, so I wonder for a truck that will eventually be in the high 400 low 500's do I really need all this? Can I just slam in a clutch kit and be done with it? Maybe just buy new alloy/heat treated shafts instead of billets? I'd love to replace everything inside there with the best parts but I kinda start to wonder if I really need it for a street hero set up.

Or should I just go better safe than sorry?

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Better safe than sorry and if you are aiming for 500hp there is no way just a set of clutches and steels are gonna do the trick. Depending on how much all of that adds up to, you may be better of cost and time wise to just buy a built transmission.

·
Science rulz
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right, seeing as shipping my tranny to the states, and getting one shipped to Norway from the states is probably costing me more than the transmission altogether... :/

So what else is there to a built transmission? Converter, additional clutches, pump, bottom plate, valvebody... I don't see anything else that'd really need changing..

There is a company here in Norway that builds auto's and are very good at it, but for the mods I want they want damn near $8000... So I thought, parts for $3-4 grand, and do everything myself. Of course I miss out on a couple of warranties, but I have faith in myself when it comes to mechanical stuff.

·
riverjet
459 Posts
More input would be appreciated! :)
You know your limitations best.If you think you can build it yourself,thats what I would do. Keep in mind their are going to be more "tricks" than just puttin in hard parts.Do you need the billet shafts for 500 hp? Call BTS and ask them.I found he is not into selling you stuff you dont need.Most people are not interested in learning about building a trans.Just look at the lack of interest here.IF BTS or John Woods closes down, the world is going to be in trouble.

·
Science rulz
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, it can't be much more complex then them old Wichman clutches, and I've fixed enough of those. The only thing I wonder about is exactly what parts to stick in the tranny itself. From what I can tell the PI stallion is the best option for the TC.

Guess I'll shoot a mail to Brian then.

·
riverjet
459 Posts
Well, it can't be much more complex then them old Wichman clutches, and I've fixed enough of those. The only thing I wonder about is exactly what parts to stick in the tranny itself. From what I can tell the PI stallion is the best option for the TC.

Guess I'll shoot a mail to Brian then.
Get you a ASG manual to start.Study it. Keep in mind,it will not show you how to inspect parts to much or the little tricks you will need to do to improve the lubrication. I wish I new where to get that information.Let us know what info you get from BTS.

·
riverjet
459 Posts
Racer x,a site sponser has them.A very nice complete rebuild manual.It also has some of the electronic control information also.

·
riverjet
459 Posts
Coltain,I also noticed you overlapped yourself.Racer x valvebody and Transgo Tugger perform the same function.Both can not be used together. I used a Tugger with a .500 Sonnex valve,Sonnex springs,(firmer than transgo),Sonnex shift valves on the 2-3 and 3-4 with two shims.I think you are going to have to experiment when you get to that stage.No to trucks are going to shift the same. Many builders say a.500 valve is too much. My truck shifts super fast, but not harsh at light throttle,and at full throttle......WOW.

·
Science rulz
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah, so the Sonnax kit I have is the same as a transgo tugger kit then? I thought the transgo kit was something else, misunderstandings ahoy.

I have the Sonnax tricumulator springs and some other valve type thing that came with the kit, it sometimes shifts kinda roughly into OD, but only if I've been into the throttle then back out as it's coming close to 4th.

·
riverjet
459 Posts
No, the Transgo has a ajustable plate that goes under the valvebody.On my truck the plate made a huge difference in shift quality over the Sonnex by itself.The shifts were firm with the Sonnex.....but the plate just made them feel more precise and firm without harshness.It will also break both rear tires loose on my 1-2 shift at full pedal with the plate. The plate forces more fluid to the clutches.

·
Science rulz
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ah, so that means that the racerx valvebody already has that functionality whereas the OEM do not, I see I see. I was thinking that I would need it since I'm pretty sure I've been reading about people using the TGT kit with the JW valvebody.

Time will tell, I'm sure.

Cheers for the help so far.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts