Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.
Let me start with this- WE LOVE our BTS in our F-250. Absolutely.
But now at about 145k our Excursion's factory 4R100 (impressive considering it is our primary tow vehicle heh... 35k mile oil FLUSHES, not just drains, will help with that) is slipping and showing signs of wanting to give up the ghost.

We'd love to do another BTS, but the finances aren't really lining up.
Just going with a Ford reman isn't really an option as we don't want to roll the dice and risk getting a crapper.

Soooo....
Can anyone give good thoughts as to what might be best to do for the Ex?
It has 4" exhaust, K&N filter, and LArry's Black box. So nothing crazy.

I've heard rumors of using a 6.0L converter for increased efficiency... Input?

Thought about a Suncoast tranny for cost.

Opinions? No real thoughts of pushing more power through this truck. We just want a good, reliable tow vehicle. At most, we might put an Adrenaline, HPOX line, and regulated return setup.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Hey guys.
Let me start with this- WE LOVE our BTS in our F-250. Absolutely.
But now at about 145k our Excursion's factory 4R100 (impressive considering it is our primary tow vehicle heh... 35k mile oil FLUSHES, not just drains, will help with that) is slipping and showing signs of wanting to give up the ghost.

We'd love to do another BTS, but the finances aren't really lining up.
Just going with a Ford reman isn't really an option as we don't want to roll the dice and risk getting a crapper.

Soooo....
Can anyone give good thoughts as to what might be best to do for the Ex?
It has 4" exhaust, K&N filter, and LArry's Black box. So nothing crazy.

I've heard rumors of using a 6.0L converter for increased efficiency... Input?

Thought about a Suncoast tranny for cost.

Opinions? No real thoughts of pushing more power through this truck. We just want a good, reliable tow vehicle. At most, we might put an Adrenaline, HPOX line, and regulated return setup.
FWIW, most people on here bash jasper, but its what was put in my truck when my tranny went and its held up just fine. I dont tow anything with it so i couldnt tell you about towing. I havent had a single issue yet.

Get a good PI TC or something of the likes, JWVB, 6.0 cooler with your rebuild:ford:

·
Registered
15,561 Posts
whats a larrys black box? depending on what that is will be able to help people on here give you the right info.

a jasper trans running a 6.0 converter, 6.0 trans cooler and a shift kit or valve body will last.. . . . . but it all depends on that " black box"

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Resistor mod for the ICP with a variable potentiometer controllable in cab to boost HPO pressures.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
I got an extreme duty trans from a company called OE Performance out of Florida for 2965 shipped to my door. It comes with a Hayden "DAWG" trans cooler with fan. Here are the specs on it.

OE Performance
4302 East 10th Avenue Suite 205
Tampa FL 33605
1-877-242-1897

4R100/E4OD specs

Hydraulic upgrades:
Steel pressure regulator, boost valve, and spring
Full time converter feed and lube valve
Accumulator springs and steel capacity valve
Larger line modulator valve(.500 for firmer shifts)
Tugger equipped valve body(doubles holding power of low/reverse clutches in manual low). Prevents downhill clutch burn up when using an exhaust brake or engine compression braking and creates firmer upshifts for performance and durability

Gear train:
Front and rear steel 6 pinion planets
Overdrive 4 pinion planet
Roller bearing center support
45 element performance intermediate sprag
Redesigned coast clutch drum snap ring
Spiral O/D piston snap ring
B&M cast aluminum pan. This increases fluid capacity by 3.5 quarts and gives the case rigid support to prevent flesing under high load conditions.

Clutch pack upgrades:
Raybestos intermediate z-pak increases to 6 frictions instead of 3(stops 1-2 upshift slide)
Alto direct hi-energy power pack increases to 8 frictions from 4 frictions for more holding power

torque converter upgrade:
Performance triple disc triple bearing billet torque converter.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Resistor mod for the ICP with a variable potentiometer controllable in cab to boost HPO pressures.
What does that have to do with transmisions :confused:

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just listing the "performance" mods to give an idea of the power-handling needs of the tranny.

We aren't wanting to do a full chip craziness on the Ex. Its not our power-machine. So the Black Box seems to work pretty good. Does make a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Just listing the "performance" mods to give an idea of the power-handling needs of the tranny.

We aren't wanting to do a full chip craziness on the Ex. Its not our power-machine. So the Black Box seems to work pretty good. Does make a noticeable difference.
Holy crap:doh: i didnt even realize you were the OP and you were referring to the "black box"

Sorry for comin off like an azzhat. Your better of stock than that if your not gonna go with custom tuning

·
Registered
25 Posts
i bought a k-100 kit from transmission center and a factory tech vb.pulled the trans and rebuilt it for about 1900.00 total and it works great.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had a jasper in my truck all stock it didnt last 10k, not to mention they installed 3 of them when they put it in at first they were all junk.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We put a lot of Jasper's in at work.
Not too many come back on warranty, but we had a GMC 6.2L come in that split the case of his TH-400. Replaced on warranty from Jasper.

Probably going to talk to my boss and see how much he'd charge to rebuild it.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
If you can't do a BTS and are able to do a DYI best option is JW's $2400+- kit

·
Registered
900 Posts
I def wouldnt get the jasper i have one now and yea im pushin a little more than stock but i havent beat on it at all have a new 6.0l tranny cooler put in when i put in the tranny and towed with it quiet a bit but with only around 6,000mi she doesnt really want to shift into 3rd gear very well i dont care if they do warrenty it and pay the labor rate i got better things to do than keep pulling a tranny because it fails

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Reasonably priced, efficient, great for towing converter recommendations?
The Ex is our tow rig. Not crazy power, but she tows our boat all over the place (my mom is a competitive Hydrofoiler) so we need the efficiency and such.

I dunno what all is at play, but I wish we could have the 21mpg highway (NOT towing lol) we used to get back...

·
Bigfoot is an OBS
3,462 Posts
As long as the TC isn't slipping when it's locked, it plays a very small role in highway fuel efficiency.
The efficiency most people talk about is the efficiency of the fluid coupling. Once the TC is locked, the halves are rotating at the same speed, so the fluid coupling is not even dong anything.

·
Registered
15,561 Posts
I def wouldnt get the jasper i have one now and yea im pushin a little more than stock but i havent beat on it at all have a new 6.0l tranny cooler put in when i put in the tranny and towed with it quiet a bit but with only around 6,000mi she doesnt really want to shift into 3rd gear very well i dont care if they do warrenty it and pay the labor rate i got better things to do than keep pulling a tranny because it fails

what jasper trans? cause honestly I wouldnt run a jasper trans with the mods you have in your sig. I dont see how that is "pushin a little more then stock"

1 - 20 of 23 Posts