Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Rebuild or replace motor?

4K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  Garbage_Mechanic 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone I have a 97 f250 7.3 with 370,000 miles on it, and I was wondering if I should rebuild or replace the motor. I’m looking for this truck to be a hot street truck and maybe some towing. Thanks!

#3 ·
Sorry I was really un clear about that. I meant motor, sir🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

#6 ·
I just rebuilt mine. My experience with Swamps was not good. They have changed ownership and it seems like the old employees are deliberately sabotaging the operation. My personal opinion and deduction, of course.

#7 ·
However, that was just swamps injectors.

The rest of my rebuild experience was good.

#11 ·
Yeah I get that I just hope that if I do go with swamps, that the engine isn’t going to be like how your injectors turned out

#9 ·
Only reason I’m looking at swamps is because you have a lot of options with the internals... I am looking to make a great bit of power with the engine but I am just worried with getting a regular remanufactured engine from ford with no forged rods, Studs, coated rings, etc etc.

#10 ·
I don't think Black Mamba is in business anymore... I have read other forums in which posters give them less than stellar reviews.

#12 ·
So where do you think is best for me and what I’m trying to do with the truck?

#13 ·
"Best" is going to depend on your budget and HP goals. Anything over 500-550hp is deep pockets. 400hp is easily attainable and can be made even with a PMR motor in stock form, reliably.

#16 ·
Max I will ever want to spend on a motor, will be 15-25 grand AT MOST

#14 ·
Rcemaxx,

I'm not sure I know... I haven't had to get my engine rebuilt yet. I would likely go "interview" the local shops and pick the one that offers (or is willing to install) the upgrades/parts I want in the engine. I would pick a shop that is willing to let me come by and see progress or at least willing to keep me updated via phone or email. The advantage to local that I see is if there are problems you can take the truck over to the shop and let them listen/drive the truck. Another idea - talk to the account managers at the local parts houses and find out who is honest and who is a pain in the tail. It seems the ones who pay their bills on time and have a good relationship with the parts guys are usually the ones that are worth the time and expense. Just some thoughts,

Cj

Reactions: Jax
#15 ·
Thank you for your thoughts cj. Still trying to see what’s the best but thanks for your help!

#17 ·
Welcome... As for upgrades... once the motor is done then you'll have to think about the other weak links - transmission, transfer case, driveline joints, rearend. It never ends :)

#18 ·
It really never does end! You are right about that but yeah I’ll definitely think about other things like that. Thanks!

#19 ·
I am a dinosaur, I prefer to build engine myself. at 370K its going to have bore wear and need some attention paid to the crank and rods.
Get a set of OBS 7.3 rods (forged)
have the heads ported, get the valves undercut, upgrade the valve springs, get upgraded pushrods.
Not sure your goals would justify the expense of an upgraded cam?
talk with an injector builder about your goals and build the HPOP/injector/turbo combo with appropriate tuning to support those goals.

Definitely get the trans / transfer case / drive lines / rebuilt-upgraded to handle the new power level.

the suggestion to talk to the local parts houses to see who is good to work with is an excellent suggestion, I am going to steal that one...

#20 ·
Toybreaker,

Rcemaxx's truck is a 97 so he should definitely have forged rods. I'm looking to upgrade my own truck as well (242k).. The International version (T444e) had a high output tune that would push 620 Ft-lbs or torque. I think that this is a reasonable level of power that will still allow a long engine life. I use my truck as a commuter, but several times a year I tow up to 20k behind it (I have pulled one 22k load, but that was just across town). The 420 Ft-lb torque limit definitely very noticeable when towing those heavy loads. My own plan is 160/180 0% or 30% injectors (International ran 160s on the HO motor), KC Turbo's DIY turbine/compressor upgrade with a 1.00AR exhaust housing, 99 intercooler, and Jelibuilt tunes on a Hydra.

Steal away! My brother in-law is a parts house account manager so before (or even after) I have visited a shop I'll call him up and ask about the shop. He has been very helpful in determining the bad apples. He gets a lot of info from customers and his accounts so his knowledge of who's good and bad often extends beyond his direct accounts.

#21 ·
Chaote engineering performance does 7.3's.
If they can build a 6.4 to last, I think they can handle a 7.3.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

#22 ·
Chaote engineering performance does 7.3's.
If they can build a 6.4 to last, I think they can handle a 7.3.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Hey now, the 7.3 was made for speed and precision, not like those bulletproof 6.4s...

Oh wait.... hahaha

#23 ·
I have a Swamps engine on the stand to go in built by the old shop. Ported heads, 160/30’s S344.5 Broke in on Swamps engine dyno. 460 hp, 1,000 ft lbs. Not sure I would go to Swamps today. It is a shame.
Had one person who had good results with Blackwater reman, they even put studs in it for him. I seriously considered CNC Fab, he has a builder. Carson Stauffer too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.