Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I bought a 98' Motor not that long ago and it "Supposedly" has 83K miles on it. The reason I bought the engine is because it is a forged rod Motor.

I am wondering what y’all would do… Rebuild the motor or just swap the motor? I do not know enough to rebuild the motor myself so I’d have to pay someone to do it. How much do y’all think it would cost to rebuild?

My main goal is to be between 450-500 HP (238s, 38r, and Studs) I’d like to get it done ASAP but Money is the reason it will be sitting in my garage for a LONG time… Depending on what I do (rebuild/Swap) will determine how long it will have to sit.

Just wondering what y’all would do.

I have the engine on an engine stand. What are some things to look for to see if rebuilding is needed?

·
Registered
871 Posts
As far as rebuilding goes I have my engine out of my truck right now and I'm just re-sealing some things. I had a very bad rear main leak and figured I might as well do things while the engine was out. As of right now I did head studs, comp 910 valve springs, ITP regulated return as far as supporting mods. Sealing it has a new oil pan, rear plate resealed, rear main, water pump and fan clutch, 3in intakes on the heads instead of the early 99 2inchers. And I'm waiting for an oil cooler and o-rings. All of this stuff is actually very easy to do if you have a small 3/8s torque wrench you would be surprised how much you can do and how easy it is. Once I'm done sealing it I will be mounting an S465 on a custom pedistal and I haven't decided on the injectors yet.

Either way if you are rebuilding the oil pan will have to be removed and it is more than stuck on there. The international RTV is wicked stuff and expensive. If you pull a main cap and rod cap you can look at the bearings and if they don't look bad I wouldn't worry about it. By not looking bad I mean no pitting and no copper showing.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply...

I plan on AT LEAST doing what you have done. I can change seals and all that stuff. Since the engine is a OBS Engine I have to change a couple things to make it similar to my SD Engine.

Where did you find all the gaskets, seals, o-rings and all that good stuff? Ford dealership? Powerstrokeshop.com?

I'm more concerned about IF i need to change rod bearings and all that internal stuff when the engine only has 83K on it.

·
Registered
666 Posts
i would think that with that kinda milage and if it was running fine(if you know the history) you could just upgrade some stuff and put it in BUT I have never built an engine. you could always call a few shops I think DI is in Houston, ETC. i would def get an expert opinion becouse as we all know these motor arnt cheap. better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I plan on AT LEAST doing what you have done. I can change seals and all that stuff. Since the engine is a OBS Engine I have to change a couple things to make it similar to my SD Engine.

Where did you find all the gaskets, seals, o-rings and all that good stuff? Ford dealership? Powerstrokeshop.com?

I'm more concerned about IF i need to change rod bearings and all that internal stuff when the engine only has 83K on it.
Being it only has 83k on it I really doubt it will need anything. I got all my parts from work I'm a diesel mechanic with the exception of the studs springs and reg return. We got most of the parts from the Ford dealership. Right now the bill is a little over $1000.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts