Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Called a shop around here...won't mention names but was quoted $5900 dollars for a headstud and gasket install. $3700 of that was in labor...

Is this outrageous in California? Looking for some place to go that is reasonable.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Seems pretty high. That would technically be 37 hours at $100/hour. Which would be almost a full work week. Seems like a performance diesel shop should be able to do it in a day maybe two at the most.

·
Powerstrokin'
847 Posts
Im gonna say that it seems pretty high to me.. its not that huge of a project..

·
Not Winning.
1,397 Posts
if your getting it done, and done right, you should get your heads checked, which usually takes a day. but that does seem a little high. are you getting anything else done? could there be some other parts that are adding cost, ie: injectors, turbo, EGR delete, ect...?

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
if your getting it done, and done right, you should get your heads checked, which usually takes a day. but that does seem a little high. are you getting anything else done? could there be some other parts that are adding cost, ie: injectors, turbo, EGR delete, ect...?
He said most of that was labor...:poke:

Which means they plan on having this thing in the shop for a week. Which i believe unless they got head stud and gasket mixed up with entire engine rebuild then the price is too high.

·
Not Winning.
1,397 Posts
He said most of that was labor...:poke:

Which means they plan on having this thing in the shop for a week. Which i believe unless they got head stud and gasket mixed up with entire engine rebuild then the price is too high.
I understand that, but even with 3700 dollars in labor, that leaves 2200 dollars in parts, subtract about 500 for studs and 400 for gaskets, that leaves 1300 dollars in other parts, where is the other money going? :poke:

·
NHRDA Diesel TV Host
3,037 Posts
Seems pretty high. That would technically be 37 hours at $100/hour. Which would be almost a full work week. Seems like a performance diesel shop should be able to do it in a day maybe two at the most.
Have you ever done headstuds on a 6.0? It is a full week. It's a day to pull the cab and heads, day or so at the machine shop, day to do studs and day for reinstalling the cab, doing the ac and buttoning up. Although 37 hours is a lot. Most shops charge 25-30 depending on the machine shop services getting done. That's just my .02

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Just called the dealership and they will do if for 2250 which includes labor and gaskets and then 500 bucks for studs so a total of 2750.

·
Registered
359 Posts
yeah i talked to the diesel tech a the ford dealer and he said let him know a couple weeks in advance and he would do it in his spare time on the weekend for 2000 and hes gunna do egr headstuds and injectors and i also asked the local diesel diesel shop thats has do work on my 7.3 and he said 2500 for labor so yeah thats to much

·
rollin coal!
328 Posts
ya that is way expensive for labor, Im looking into getting mine done right now and the two shops I have talked to wanted around 2100 for labor. I think i might take mine to a ford diesel tech for him to do as a side job he charges almost half price

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
its funny cause i took my truck to ford to have it done when i first started messing with my truck. i did a fass, regulated return studs, egr delete and injectors. i paid $200 to have mine done. started puking a couple weeks later. one of my friends blew his gaskets in like bakersfield or something and ford charged him $5400 because he had an edge in it and they voided his warranty. the price he got is high but i dont know of one shop charging anywhere near 2500.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Two guys on the first page of this thread said their local shops were around there. So its out there, you just gotta look.

·
rollin coal!
328 Posts
Ya i have the quote saved on my comp if anyone wants to see it, the total was around $5000 for all labor including getting the heads decked, arp studs, upgraded bulletbroof egr, oil cooler, coolant filter, all gaskets, oil with filters and coolant

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was quoted $5700 for Headstuds, checking the heads, upgraded EGR cooler since im in california i can't do EGR delete.

labor was quoted at $3700.

Gonna pick up some ARP's for $350 and do the sneaky EGR pipe plug. Would need everything else for basic HS install. Truck only has 61,000 miles and 5 months left on the factory warranty. Not in any hurry to get this done...just want a quote for when I have all the money saved up. Should be by July.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
You can get it done for cheaper, you just gotta make a couple calls to some other shops. Ask Prew32, he said he still has his quote.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts