Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After taking off all rear lugs nuts. I could not get either rear wheel off( right or left). It's like they are welded to the axle.

Does anybody have any tips or tricks to get these wheels off? Thanks pete

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
a little wd40, put a couple of lug nuts on just a little bit and take a 5lb hammer and start hitting the tire----not the rim. dis similiar metals. have fun

·
Registered
300 Posts
Kick the tire too.....It's a dissimilar metal corrosion deal as said above. the fit is tight from the factory (hubcentric) and the corrosion just fills what little gap is there.... It may take more.....I've seen blocks of wood against the back of the wheel and whack the block with a hammer...whatever you do don't whack the wheel with something hard or you can damage it..

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
I have also heard of people loosening lugs and drive in a couple of tight circles. When you put the wheel back on, put some antisieze on the hub.

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,869 Posts
put the lug nuts back on, don't tighten them all the way and go bounce it down the road, don't go over bout 30 though, i've had to do it to my dually 3-4 diff times to get the inside dualls off

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I have loosened the lugs and then just roll forward and jam the brakes, roll backward and jam the brakes. I have had to do it a few times, but it works.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, I just got one tire off with a variation of all the suggestions you guys gave. Working on the other one. Going for a drive and doing some tight circles with the lugs somewhat loose, pb blast and some beating did the trick. Thanks guys, Pete

·
Registered
842 Posts
use a 20lb sledge on the tire only takes a couple good hits

·
dinnerbooter treasurer
3,567 Posts
use a 2x4 or similar and pry them off. It is way easier then beating them off with a hammer or any of the other mentioned ways. I have gotten tires off that way that I could not get off with a 10 pound sledge hammer.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had a similar issue with my back tires as well. It's the built up corrosion and having them on there so long with out taking them off. They somewhat glue themselves to the rear. It's a pain to get them off. I would suggest WD40 and kicking the snot out of them from the inside and the outside. They will eventually come off!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I have gotten both tires to cooperate. Thanks for all the good suggestions.
Might be a good idea to check your wheels, I would never been able to do all that work on the side of the road if I had gotten a flat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts