Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
I think there are two types that you may have.

The old style setup would be two nuts and a washer between them. I usually tighten the inner nut until all the play is out of the bearing then back up maybe 1/4 to 1/2 a turn. Then tighten the outer nut be hand with a breaker bar, maybe 2 ft long. I don't apply much more torque than tightening a lug nut. You just want to end up with all of the slack out of the bearing, maybe feeling even a little tight if they are new bearings. And all the slack out but not over tight if the bearings are reused.

The other style is a self torqueing nut. Put it all back together and tighten until it 'clicks' a couple of times. Be sure that the bearings are pulling up into the races properly as you tighten. Spin the hub and shake it some, as if you were trying to pull the brake drum off, as you tighten the nut.

I think what I am telling you is correct.

Hud

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have not been in mine but looking at my factory manual there is a single ratcheting self-locking hub nut that requires the appropriate socket to remove and install. The hub nut is either right (right side of truck) or left (left side of truck) hand thread depending on which side of the truck they are on. They are stamped RH and LH on the nut when you look at it as well.

It also states a new hub nut must be installed if the old one separates during removal.

When tigntening the hub nut torque it to 55 - 65 lb ft then back off eight clicks (the nut will ratchet as you tighten and you need to back off eight clicks when you get it to torque spec). You also need to rotate the hub occasionally while tightening the nut to torque spec.

When reinstalling the axle, install the axle and put the axle bolts on finger tight. Put the wheel on and torque the lug nuts to 140 lb-ft then (after the lug nuts are tight) torque the axle bolts to 70-85 lb-ft.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts

·
2010 BOB Points Runner up
2,300 Posts
Every manua I have checked said 55 ft/lbs and back off 3 clicks. I've been doing them like that since I've been working on these trucks with no issues

-Michael

·
Registered
1 Posts
Every manua I have checked said 55 ft/lbs and back off 3 clicks. I've been doing them like that since I've been working on these trucks with no issues

-Michael
I have always Torques to 60 FT/lbs and backed off 3 clicks which really is about 1/4 inch. I think I was doing 55ft/lbs and 3 clicks. The TCM recommends torquing to 53ft/lbs and then check the end play with a dial indicator. Much like you I have never had a issue they way your doing it. 8 clicks would be alot to back off that would be nearly 1/2 turn. On tractor trailers we do 100 ft/lbs and back off a 1/4 turn on most, which puts the preload at 53 ft/lbs. With disc brakes you really can't have much end play. Thanks for posting !

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm sure they're glad to hear that, after 10 YEARS. :unsure:

:oops:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts