Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well sometime im gonna build my own lift for my truck and i was wondering about the rear block bcuz i guess it is tapered? it would be nice to have some pics or a template or something...im going for a 6" lift so i think i will need 4 more inches in the back and then 6 in the front is this right?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
nobody? someone has to know lol

·
Registered
69 Posts
some stock blocks are tapered to correct pinion angle. i do not know the degree they are tapered. if you want to level the truck you want to go 6" in the front and 4" in the back. it would be cheaper and easier to order a 6" lift than to try and put a lift together piece by piece. you need to address the drop pitman arm, trac bar drop bracket, sway bar links need lengthened. it is illegal to put blocks under the leaves in the front and is unsafe, just to let you know.

·
<---new toy
856 Posts
why don't you buy the blocks 4 inches and use the stock ones. you may have to shim the carrier bearing some too. I had an 02 that I did myself it was 14 inches on 40's I just told everybody I bought parts from the truck was wrecked and just needed certain parts. BUT this was not the first lift I had done either. That other dude is right. do some real checking before you go out an hack up the suspension bro.

·
Registered
249 Posts
:whs: do not make blocks for the front! very unsafe! :badidea:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea i heard that front blocks are illegal...wat if they were kind of longer wouldnt that make it a little more sturdy and not so unsafe? and im not sure but i said to my dad about it and he thinks we can build one cheaper cuz we get good prices on suspension parts from a local place. i can make my own blocks for the rear and he can probly get me springs for the front too.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is a 6" lift 4 inches in the rear or 6? and the front would be 6 or 8. idk for sure but i would almost think 6 and 8

·
Registered
69 Posts
a 6" is 6" in the front and 4" rear. you can buy a 6" suspension from rough country, with shocks and everything for $1,000 with front springs. it doesn't matter if you make the blocks longer in the front, it is still unsafe and illegal. here is what you will need to make if you are gonna try and make you own lift. blocks and u-bolts for the rear, springs and u-bolts for front, drop pitman arm, trac bar drop bracket, swayt bar links, carrier bearing drop braclet if you have a 2 piece rear driveshaft, shocks. it would be cheaper and easier to bvuy the lift.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i garrentee it would be easier but i can get u-bolts for like 10 bucks each and the blocks for rear and the carrier bearing spacer i can make myself. the cheapest 6inch i found was 750 or 800 dollars but i kno i can build for cheaper the only thing that'll be crazy priced would be the pitman arm and track bracket.

sorry i dont mean to buck wat you are saying, and i appreciate the input. i just hate spending money but love it at the same time. haha like cab lights for my truck..a ford kit was $120 found led kit on ebay for $80 but i didnt really want led like the factory bulbs so my dad went thru our light guys and ordered them for $4.08/for lens, bulb, foam gasket, and mount. so that was about $21 for 5 of those and the wiring is easy.

another thing i didnt wanna spend to awful much on the lift cuz i wanna put 22 inch rims with 37 inch tires on it and thats gonna take alot! lol

·
Scab
1,296 Posts
another thing i didnt wanna spend to awful much on the lift cuz i wanna put 22 inch rims with 37 inch tires on it and thats gonna take alot! lol
Why would you waste the money on buying rims and tires? you could just get some solid aluminum blocks and machine them into the rims that you like. Surely you could make a mold and form your own tires.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why would you waste the money on buying rims and tires? you could just get some solid aluminum blocks and machine them into the rims that you like. Surely you could make a mold and form your own tires.
i would hate to see the cost of a solid aluminum block let alone the cnc to machine it out!

see the amish dont have these problems they just got to worry about where to put there next set of lights! lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you stick to a 4" lift you won't need to get the drops, maybe sway bar drop brackets & carrier bearing shims to lose the shimmy off a stop.

I re-used my rear U bolts on the front end & had new ones bent for pretty cheap.

The biggest bitch was getting the truck high enough to drop the suspension & fit the relaxed springs into place without killing myself.

Be careful & wait on those tires & wheels for a while, build it to be safe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts