Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 F350 344500 miles. Just repacked rear bearings and replaced brake shoes. I noticed that the innermost part of the hub is wearing into a beveled edge. Anyone else have this happen to them? What's causing it?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
You know those are oil bath bearings, right?................
Didn't happen to get a picture, did you? I think you're looking at the bearing race.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did not get a picture. It is not the race. It is about a 45°angle from out to in, toward the where the seal sits. This is the driver side. The passenger side wore like this about 6 years, 150,000 miles ago. When that one did it, it felt like the truck fell and the weight of the truck was on the bearing, if that makes sense?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Was the seal trashed?
Any chance you are running wheel spacers?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Torqued To 65lbs, backed off 5 clicks. So I have been wondering if it is not torqued enough? Or too much. Seal was fine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The spindle looks good. My theory is that it is not torqued enough? Could the bearing not be seated far enough back? Does that torque just set the bearing on the shoulder of the spindle not quite enough? Or could I be over torquing?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Really just gonna need a pic.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Is it visibly contacting anything?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will have to take it apart again and see. Will get back to you when I do. Thanks a bunch for just responding. Get back to you hopefully tomorrow afternoon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, so it's been a little over a month now, I pulled a load of pipe and this morning I noticed a small puddle of oil under the tire. So I am pretty sure the seal is now trashed. I had talked to our fleet guy at work and suggested not setting the race all the way in. Too late now, but will know next time. Any other input?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts