Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been trying to read some up on the rear end lube for my dually. Thought I would replace it soon as I don't know if the PO ever swapped it out. What is suggested type oil and do I need some additive like I put in my posi rear in my Buick? Or no additive? What's a good type? I have 129,000 miles on it and would feel better changing it now.Could I go to a synthetic or is it a waste of money?

·
International Coal Roller
383 Posts
You have to check and see what type you have, if its a sterling you need 75w140 with friction modifier, if its a Dyna you need like 75w90 with NO modifier, either way the best brands are gonna be redline, schaeffers, amsoil or Mobil 1, I use Mobil 1 in mine, mainly cause its easy to find vs having to order the others.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
The friction modifier isn't dependant on what type of axle it is. A Sterling or Dana with a limited slip will need a modifier. A Sterling or Dana that isn't limited slip doesn't need it.

Many synthetics are slippery enough that they don't need a friction modifier. The particular brand will say so right on the bottle.

Personally I like Redline 75w-140, whether it's a Sterling or Dana axle.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was eying up the redline 75w-140 myself...The guy at the counter told me I didn't need the modifier either,but I am not sure I believe him totally. I asked him what would happen if I added the friction modifier with the synthetics and he said Ummm...I swapped my Grand Cherokees to synthetics in the front and rears and actually gained some minimal MPG. Not saying I am in this truck,but it can't hurt to try or just let alone replace the fluid.

·
International Coal Roller
383 Posts
I wouldnt add the modifier unless it gets some rearend chatter

1 - 6 of 6 Posts