Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 F250 super duty and was wondering what is the best kind of additive to use for the limited slip?

Thanks

·
Registered
141 Posts
You could run the Amsoil Severe Gear oil and ususlly you don't need the additive but they make it if you do. Let me know if I can help.

Dane

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
How often is the rear diff supposed to be changed. My truck was handed down to me from my dad and as far Im aware the rear diff has never been changed

·
Offical Puddle Displacer
2,339 Posts
i changed mine shortly after i got it the p.o had it changed at 130,00 i got it with 187,000 and it was still relatively clean so id say every 50k but i had to change it because the cover was leaking

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Yikes! Mimes at 214K with some change. Like I said I'm not certain it hasn't ever been changed but not certain it has been either.

Guess I need to call the ole man and tell him to look at service records

·
Lubrication Addict!!
430 Posts
BS: Couple Questions for Ya.
1. Has the PSD been used to tow heavy loads alot?
2. How often has it towed and how many miles during towing?

Towing heavy loads for long periods of time, creates alot of heat in that rearend. Thus the reason for changing the gear oil often.

We just bought 2 summers ago a 32ft 5th wheel camper-->9K lbs... I chose too install an aluminum finned diff cover with a drain plug. Makes gear oil changing a snap... I tow all summer... So I change my Amsoil our every 30k miles. 3 1/2 qts. No friction additive.

If your PSD never tows or pulls loads... I would change it every 50K to 70K miles...If you cross alot of water crossings or play in the water and mud? U might change it more often. Water and Gear Oil dont mix well with L/S clutches.

Just make sure you pour in a Synthetic 75W-140 or similiar...

This is just my Opinion.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
BS: Couple Questions for Ya.
1. Has the PSD been used to tow heavy loads alot?
2. How often has it towed and how many miles during towing?

Towing heavy loads for long periods of time, creates alot of heat in that rearend. Thus the reason for changing the gear oil often.

We just bought 2 summers ago a 32ft 5th wheel camper-->9K lbs... I chose too install an aluminum finned diff cover with a drain plug. Makes gear oil changing a snap... I tow all summer... So I change my Amsoil our every 30k miles. 3 1/2 qts. No friction additive.

If your PSD never tows or pulls loads... I would change it every 50K to 70K miles...If you cross alot of water crossings or play in the water and mud? U might change it more often. Water and Gear Oil dont mix well with L/S clutches.

Just make sure you pour in a Synthetic 75W-140 or similiar...

This is just my Opinion.
Truck RARELY sees a trailer behind it. Movin trailers around the ranch, yeah, down the hwy no.
Who doesn't hit a little mud every once in a while :poke:

pretty much just all hwy miles. I'll prolly go ahead and change it this weekend. Curious to see what condition the oils in.

·
Lubrication Addict!!
430 Posts
pstroke: Are u being sarcastic? or Serious? If you dont pull heavy loads, u will be ok. If you tow alot? U might think about switching to a 75W-140 synthetic.

I don't know what weight of gear oil was poured into your 96 from the factory.

But if u tow any amount... Thicker is better... If u don't tow? U are fine.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Pstroke 75W-90 is ok for your rear end that is what it called for in the manual. If your towing or hauling heavy loads like SyN said you could go to a 75W-110 which will offer some better protection but not reduce fuel mileage too much. In applications where the manual calls for 75W-90 and you put 75W-140 in you will reduce fuel mileage slightly. Will you hurt the rear end by using 75W-140?............no.

Many newer applications with Ford call for 75W-140 so people should take a look at their manual and see what the application calls for then adjust if needed.

·
Offical Puddle Displacer
2,339 Posts
ok then, i dont tow a whole lot with it and when i do its not that heavy.. a bass boat or motorcycle trailer is about it so ill leave it in there. and yes im dead serious thats what he told me

1 - 15 of 15 Posts