Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I sent my driveshaft in for a rebuild the other day. It's a two piece driveshaft. Was rebuilt front to back new ujoints and steady bearing. I put it back in the truck lastnight and there is now a grinding noise coming from somewhere. It varies depending on the speed. It's really bad when I left off the gas. but if I hold a steady acceleration I cant feel/hear anything. Any help would be appreciated. The diff was warm/hot after a 15 minute drive.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I might add its negative 12 for temperature here so for my diff to get that warm after 15 minutes leads me to believe something is fudged. And I am far from a driveline expert so go easy on me

·
Registered
798 Posts
I wouldn't think that having new ujoints put in would have any effect on the diff. Sounds like a new problem that may have been masked by whatever was wrong with the ujoints.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Noise was probably already there, which was misdiagnosed as bad ujoints and carrier bearing.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No my driveshaft flew out from under the truck when I was doing 100kmh. Which is why it needed rebuild not just ujoints and carrier. I pulled my diff cover off the other night and my diff is shot.

·
Administrator
8,630 Posts
The bad diff Is probably what made it spit the driveshaft out

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
At a -12 C or F It may be easier to just find a used diff with the same gearing and swap it in instead of trying to figure out and fixing a grinding noise.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I pulled the carrier out and theres minor wear on it from the pinion. It appears the pinion has slid back slightly and started rubbing on it. Everything else looks brand new

·
Registered
17 Posts
My diff was starting to make noise at ~200K miles and I replaced the Ford assembly with an Eaton TrueTrac and reused the ring and pinion. My pinion was also loose. No noise now and it is a stronger assembly than the original. And an added benefit is that both rear wheels now push the truck when in snow, sand or mud.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had intended to do it myself but then a health problem prevented that so I found a local offroad place who seemed to have a competent mechanic and didn't charge an arm any a leg. They cut me a reasonable deal since I already had the Eaton. I think they were hungry for work at the time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts