Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 F350 7.3L DRW with 4.10 rear end. I am new to the Diesel world and I have been towing an enclosed car trailer loaded that's around 7000# and the truck seems to struggle to pass 65mph or hold it on hills. I know the 7.3 isn't the most burly thing in the world but can this be right. Just wondering if I have an issue truck runs great otherwise, thanks all for the help!

·
7,981 Posts
that sounds about rite. and with 7,000 in the trailer, you are running down the road around 14-15 k lbs.
no way i would be going that fast with that load.

·
Registered
341 Posts
With my 96 F-250,...and 4:10 rear gears,.. I tow 7000lbs quite often,...so I can attest to what you're saying.

The main problem is,...the small Injectors in these trucks. Upgrade those,....get you a chip, some gauges, new Down-Pipe (or complete exhaust), better air intake and it'll be a completely different truck.

The downfall to this,......be prepared to spend on average of about 2000 bucks to do these mods.

·
Project Shamu
2,401 Posts
Yup, sounds about right, I use to do the same thing with the exact same setup. But now with some mods, I'm towing 13,000lbs at 65mph and 55mph up most hills.

·
College Student
190 Posts
Down #### to third if you have a 4EOD and keep it around 2,500-2,700 rpm. With only 7K it will be more than fine.
I put baby swamp injectors and a KCTP38R turbo and still struggled to pull hills at speed due to EGT's getting too hot.
Injectors, tune, exhaust, intake, and a intercooler will solve your problems and make it nice to tow with. At the end of the day though, it's still not a race car.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Depending on your location, weather, elevation the above mods along with intercooler might still be too hot, then you could look at water injection to control EGTs. It on my list of to does, just down a ways....
j

·
Registered
600 Posts
I too have the KCTP38R, Full Force Injectors, 4.10 gear and bellowed up pipes. I pull a 9000# trailer 70mph with zero issues at all. No real egt issues on heavy tow tune.

·
Registered
21 Posts
this is the exact reason I've done my upgrades, pulling my empty 34 ft 5th wheel at 9k if there was any kind of head wind I couldnt make it over 50mph in my 95 f350 drw with 4.10 gears. truck now has 180/80 rosewood injectors with dieselsite ball bearing wicked turbo kit 66/94 option, bellowed up pipes, 3 inch downpipe to 4 inch straight exhaust, adrenalin hpop, banks intercooler, s&B intake, hydra chip with gearhead tunes and a BTS E40D in it. I haven't pulled the 5th wheel yet but the car trailer loaded at 7k behind it I have no problem passing anyone and running 75 down the highway with it. My EGT can get a little warm but it seems to be more if your lugging it down around 1800 rpm or less or if your foots in it hard

1 - 9 of 9 Posts