Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about doing a regear on my DRW 2wd flat bed.
I did a search and came up lots of hits for people running 40's and such. My situation is the truck has 4.10's now and turns right about 2000 rpm at 60mph. Which seems kinda high for a diesel. I was thinking of dropping it to 3.55's or 3.73's . This truck is used many for pulling a 9000 lb 5th wheel camper.

Will the totally stock 7.3 be ok with the higher gears while pulling the 5er? Or should I just leave it alone :)

Thanks guys
Scoob

·
Native Texan
9,037 Posts
Thinking about doing a regear on my DRW 2wd flat bed.
I did a search and came up lots of hits for people running 40's and such. My situation is the truck has 4.10's now and turns right about 2000 rpm at 60mph. Which seems kinda high for a diesel. I was thinking of dropping it to 3.55's or 3.73's . This truck is used many for pulling a 9000 lb 5th wheel camper.

Will the totally stock 7.3 be ok with the higher gears while pulling the 5er? Or should I just leave it alone :)

Thanks guys
Scoob
Well my stock 95 did great running 4.10 pulling A 20 ft camper at 80 mph to Texas and got 18MPG. That being said I am planing an axle swap out of a E450 for disc breaks and plan on dropping my gearing to 354 gears but I have also since upgraded my truck and will use custom programing. lots of guys regear their trucks just be careful of not taking to much gear and getting out of the power band. You don't want to be lugging ur way up a hill with no power pulling a 5th wheel. But that's just my 3 cents worth.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Don’t do it b/c we have an auto. Importantly, not enough ponies. Now if you had say 400-450rwhp, yes it would do it just fine. The newer trucks have 3.55 and 3.31 SRW . It’s possible b/c they have the grunt + torqueshift

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Owning an excursion with 3.73s in it and a stock 7.3 I wouldn’t go that low. It’s fine on my setup until I find a hill of any kind, then i have to adjust speed to keep it from hunting.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
For what it’s worth. I pull 18k up a 5% grades no gear hunting and it keeps increasing in speed the more I push the go pedal:] built 4r100 with dually and tuned 7.3 with 373. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great input.

Thank You Guys.

Think I will just leave it alone at least until next year when I buy a tuner kit.

Thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts