Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 F-250 with mini max, s&B intake fully deleted with a 4" and just put 35's on 22" fuel lethals. I was running stock wheels with 35" Toyo mt's and getting a good bit better mpg. I know the wheels and tires are alot heavier but I was trying to think of options to help improve it again. So I was thinking about new gears. Mine has the higher gears from factory. Any advice or experiences in this area would be greatly appreciate or maybe some other options.

·
Registered
747 Posts
its going to take a while to offset the cost of regearing for fuel mileage...

·
1,097 Posts
It all depends on how much you drive your truck.

If your truck is a weekend toy, you'll never pay for re-gearing or an overdrive.

If it is a daily work truck that spends most of the day parked at a work site, you'll never pay for it.

If you drive it 25,000 miles a year like I do, you can pay for damn near anything.

Speaking to the original question...yes changing to numerically lower gears will improve your MPG, all else being equal. It works by reducing the "engine frictional HP" at a given road speed. EFHP is somewhat of a misnomer. it doesn't mean bearings and lubrication but rather the work needed to move air and exhaust gas in and out of the engine.

Re-gearing both at the drive axle and by adding an overdrive work very well for me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got the truck first of February with 40k on it right now it's at 75. I do ALOT of driving. Are there any other options besides gears ? Or have I already done everything I can ?

·
Terminator Nation
5,121 Posts
the bigger tires are not helping you. Bigger tires/wheels take more power to rotate. Wider tread contact patch also increases rolling friction.

·
1,097 Posts
What can you do?

Replace the big meats with OEM-sized rubber. OEMs use the lowest rolling resistance tires they can find. Generally a quieter tire is a more fuel-efficient tire.
Clean up your aerodynamics. Here’s an example. What A Difference Aerodynamics Makes - Part 2 : EVWORLD.COM
Get a 203 degree thermostat. I gained 1.0 MPG with just that little change.
Disable your EBPV. The darned things stick shut and it’s like driving around with an exhaust brake.
Check your brakes. For some reason, Super Duty brakes have a way of not releasing properly.

Change your driving habits. Read this closely. Beating the EPA - The Whys and How to Hypermile - CleanMPG Forums
I don’t necessarily agree with this dude’s politics, but folks, he’s got the goods when it comes to driving technique. Just staying heads-up and staying off the brakes will help a lot. I have been called Sir Coastalot. Coasting uses energy you’ve already paid for. Timing lights is powerful in the right situation.

Obviously rolling coal and good MPG are mutually exclusive.

Don’t let the truck idle to warm up more than fifteen seconds. If your engine is running, you’ve got oil pressure. Warm up the engine with light load operation. That will warm it up quicker anyway.

Read the stickies. There’s a lot of good information there.

·
Registered
98 Posts
another great post dave,

I did have a question about the t-stat.. i though i had read the IH engines used a 205° t-stat vs the 203°. But still good to hear of teh MPG increase going from 195° to 203°. (the degree thing is alt+0176)

I try to coast as well, but find with the TC locked up when you get off the pedal and the engine goes to idle it will slow you down like crazy. I tried just putting it into "N" and man that thing will coast then. When i am coming up to a stop light I jump off the "gas" and let it slow and push OD button to down shift to help slow to save the brakes.

I had a 2008 chev impala that was a good coasting car for sure.. not sure how the trans and TC lock-up works different than the truck. They use a 4e60 I believe trans FWD.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I try to coast as well, but find with the TC locked up when you get off the pedal and the engine goes to idle it will slow you down like crazy. I tried just putting it into "N" and man that thing will coast then. When i am coming up to a stop light I jump off the "gas" and let it slow and push OD button to down shift to help slow to save the brakes.
You can also tap the brake pedal to unlock the TC. Not hard or far enough to engage the brakes, just to move the pedal enough to actuate the brake light switch.

What I don't know is if the computer will try to lock it up again after coasting for awhile.

Also, I think it is illegal to coast a vehicle in neutral. This may just be a Texas thing though.

·
Registered
98 Posts
You can also tap the brake pedal to unlock the TC. Not hard or far enough to engage the brakes, just to move the pedal enough to actuate the brake light switch.

What I don't know is if the computer will try to lock it up again after coasting for awhile.

Also, I think it is illegal to coast a vehicle in neutral. This may just be a Texas thing though.
I tried the brake tap thing and did not see to help.. I guess the low rpm of the motor is one reason.. on my torque app it shows being in 4th gear as well.

good thing i don't live in TX as i have been known to kick my 1992 sentra into "N" shut off the engine and coast down the hill.. the steering gets non powered but not bad and the brakes will work if i don't push them and loose the vacuum.. till i need them. a lot of hypermilers do the same thing.

plus how the hell is a State trooper going to know you are in N and most of texas is FLAT.. :) so coasting is kinda hard to do.

·
1,097 Posts
Re: Post #8

"...I think it is illegal to coast a vehicle in neutral."

Such laws are unenforceable as a practical matter. How could anybody tell? It may be an aggravating factor in a wreck litigation, but idea is to not have wrecks.

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,807 Posts
i'd imagine a well seasoned officer would be able to tell if a loaded semi is coasting (who shouldn't really be coasting anyways lol!). but an unloaded light duty truck? i doubt i could tell most of the time lol

·
Registered
965 Posts
Edited to add: I just realized the OP is in a much newer truck. My input is based on the OBS E4OD. Apologies for the tangent.

on my torque app it shows being in 4th gear as well.
4th gear is overdrive.

The status of overdrive is not indicated by my Aeroforce Interceptor. Is it by the Torque app?

In another thread the consensus of the typical E4OD shift pattern is 1, 2, 3, 3TC, 4TC. With TC = Torque Converter lock.

Pressing the OD button to keep the trans from shifting into OD does not keep the TC from locking.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Dave just what kind of MPGs are you seeing?
I always wondered how practical a "differential transmission" would be to try designing. Like 2.73s for cruising and 4.10s for tow, electronic shift or something. Oh I would use the chit out of that lol

·
Registered
965 Posts
plus how the hell is a State trooper going to know you are in N and most of texas is FLAT.. :) so coasting is kinda hard to do.
We DO have hills! Y'all seem to call them speed bumps or similar...

Re: Post #8
"...I think it is illegal to coast a vehicle in neutral."
Such laws are unenforceable as a practical matter. How could anybody tell? It may be an aggravating factor in a wreck litigation, but idea is to not have wrecks.
Agreed. No doubt the law was put on the books when all vehicles were manual transmissions. Doubt the lawmakers envisioned a time that you could not order a F150 with a stick shift.

i'd imagine a well seasoned officer would be able to tell if a loaded semi is coasting (who shouldn't really be coasting anyways lol!). but an unloaded light duty truck? i doubt i could tell most of the time lol
Referring back to Dave's "unenforceable" observation...I agree. No doubt there are lots of laws that are hard to discern the offense.

But none the less, I believe it to be a law in TX, and most likely, many other States. What y'all do with this observation is your business.

But as a practical matter, I would think that getting the TC to unlock would be easier on all of the mechanical parts (including the gear selector) than always kicking the trans into neutral.

·
Registered
85 Posts
problem with shutting the engine off while coasting is then the trans pump isn't turning. It would be very hard on your trans over time.

·
1,097 Posts
Re: Post #13
I was seeing 26 MPG before my tonneau self-destructed. That 26 on a regular basis, not a one-shot max on the lie-o-meter. 1500 mile minimum – mixed road driving. Truth in posting: Because I drive so much 1500 miles is quick and easy to rack up.

I hope to get my aero package cleaned back up by summer. With clean aero I think 30 is possible.

A GV would make your 4.1 into a 3.28.
A GV would make your 3.73 into a 2.98

It makes my 3.08 gear into a 2.46.

Re: Post #16
Automatics live a tough enough life behind these slow revving diesels. By going to engine off coasting (EOC) you stop the torque converter altogether and there is zero fluid being pumped through the cooler.

Heat will build up until you scatter bluish parts down the road.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I don't remember seeing where anyone said anything about engine off coasting..

I did say I kick the gear shift lever into Neutral from time to time WITH engine running when coming up to a light that has changed to yellow and i am mostly alone on the road and a good way back.. There is one spot i can coast off the main road down to a stop light for a distance of almost 1/2 mile as its down a slight hill grade. I generally pull it back into drive heading down the hill to help slow down if the light is red..

Re: Post #13
I was seeing 26 MPG before my tonneau self-destructed. That 26 on a regular basis, not a one-shot max on the lie-o-meter. 1500 mile minimum – mixed road driving. Truth in posting: Because I drive so much 1500 miles is quick and easy to rack up.

I hope to get my aero package cleaned back up by summer. With clean aero I think 30 is possible.

A GV would make your 4.1 into a 3.28.
A GV would make your 3.73 into a 2.98

It makes my 3.08 gear into a 2.46.

Re: Post #16
Automatics live a tough enough life behind these slow revving diesels. By going to engine off coasting (EOC) you stop the torque converter altogether and there is zero fluid being pumped through the cooler.

Heat will build up until you scatter bluish parts down the road.

·
Registered
98 Posts
now with my little 1992 sentra that thing would roll for miles no problem and keep brakes for 5 or more min.. after about 3 good pumps the vacuum was used up and you had to stand on them, same with power steering. going straight or slight turn as ok.

Would not do Engine off coasting with 7.3.. too much to stop with non power brakes for sure, coasting with engine idling.. no problem.

Engine-off coasting (EOC) is a favorite tactic of serious hypermilers.

Beating the EPA - The Whys and How to Hypermile - CleanMPG Forums

I don't EOC. My engine is too big and expensive. Some people (mostly little car and Cummins jocks) do.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts