Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my first 7.3 in a '99 F350. Was told it had turbo problems and it needed replaced. Just had a guy look at it and was told the turbo seemed fine. The noise is a very loud rattle from the back or low end of engine, only at idle. Any ideas?

·
Registered
150 Posts
6 speed or auto? If it's manual it's probably the flywheel. Thats a normal sound. Push in the clutch and see if it goes away. If it's an auto it could be a cracked flexplate. Not normal.

·
Edward Scissorhand WanaB
1,995 Posts
Could be several things. Starter staying engaged. Flywheel/Flexplate,Torque Convertor/sounds like marbles in coffee can.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Torque Convertor/sounds like marbles in coffee can."
If TQ, does it only rattle at idle or all times? If so,What do these usually run? Where is the best place to get one from?
Thanks.

·
The Oracle
2,777 Posts
its your converter, TBS from ford. VERY COMMON on the 99 trucks

Article No.
99-3-5

02/22/99
^NOISE - "RATTLING" NOISE FROM CONVERTER AREA - VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 4R100
TRANSMISSION AND 7.3L DIESEL ENGINE
^TRANSMISSION - 4R100 - "RATTLING" NOISEFROM CONVERTER AREA - VEHICLES EQUIPPED
WITH 7.3L DIESEL ENGINE
LIGHT TRUCK:
1998-99 ECONOLINE
1999 F-250 HD, F-35O, SUPER DUTY F SERIES

ISSUE
A "rattling" noise in the converter housing area when the torque converter clutch is not engaged may occur on some vehicles. This may be caused by impact between the converter piston and cover spline teeth internal to the cover.

ACTION
Replace the torque converter. The revised torque converter incorporates a new piston and damper design which reduces the possibility of impact between the clutch piston and cover spline teeth. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

NOTE DO NOT USE THIS CONVERTER TO FIX OTHER CONVERTER ISSUES. THIS CONVERTER IS SPECIFICALLY FOR REPAIR OF 1998 AND 1999 DIESEL RATTLE ISSUES AS MENTIONED IN THIS TSB.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
1.Run self test and repair and diagnose any Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) present before continuing.
2.If rattling is still present, place the transmission gear selector lever in Park.
3.Using a breakout box, ground Pin 54 (TCC). This will fully apply the torque convener clutch.
4.Cycle the torque converter clutch on and off a few times by applying and removing the ground to Pin 54.
5.If the rattling/scrapping noise is not present when the convener is applied (Pin 54 grounded), replace the Torque Converter (XL3Z-7902-DARM).

PART NUMBER PART NAMEXL3Z-7902-DARM Torque Converter
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: NONE
WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage
OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME99O3O5A Perform Diagnostics And 3.2 Hrs. Replace Torque Converter (4X2)990305B Perform Diagnostics And 4.1 Hrs. Replace Torque Converter (4X4)
DEALER CODING
CONDITIONBASIC PART NO. CODE7902 33
OASIS CODES: 504000, 597997, 702000, 702100

ive posted this before(recently too)
a search would have turned up many threads about this

·
Caption This
4,258 Posts
If so,What do these usually run?
How many miles on the truck. A 99 with the original converter might be a candidate for an overhaul, about $4500.

·
The Oracle
2,777 Posts
yea :whs: if theres alot of miles on it, rebuild it. I had one with the rattle, at my last job, and i tried to get approval for a complete rebuild(boss said no)...so threw in the convertor...6 days later the trans said goodbye, lost all forward drive....funny thing is it had been rattling for over 2yrs before i started working there

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mine had a bad rattle before I pulled the auto for a ZF6 swap. After I had the TC out I could pick it up and shake it and hear the internals rattling. So I agree with everybody else. The TC is probably your problem. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The truck has 212,000 on it with an '03 engine with around 150,000 on it. I was told the tranny was rebuilt around 2,500 miles ago but don't know who or how good they are. Talking to the previous owner in the morning. I crawled under it a few minutes ago and checked the TQ bolts and all six were tight. Then cranked it and got back under it and am not sure but it sounds like it is in the oil pan. WTH?

OK, went back out and cranked it up, it only rattles at idle. If I give it fuel and hold the brake it stops that dang rattle. So does that confirm it's a TQ or do I still do the check with pin 54?

·
Registered
297 Posts
It's most likely the TC, take from a guy that has been living with the damn thing for years.... saving for a new trans...

The best way I've found for stopping it... after it's warm you can foot on the brake in reverse and give it a little fuel.... stops the racket every time :)

Travis T

·
Registered
297 Posts
Like Bigred97 said I think it's a special 99 feature :-/

Travis T

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 01 is doing the same thing. The convertor sounds like a can of marbles is rattling around in it. Goes away with any throttle input. Flexplate and all is o.k. Haven't had time or money to replace.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Should I get a stock replacement or is there a certain stall I should get? It will mostly just pull a 6 horse trailer and a 3020 JD every now and then.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts