Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you find out the ratio of meth/alcohol to water in windshield washer fluid? I am getting a cooling mist kit and need to know. I have heard it somewhere on here but I cant find it. Also what ratio should I run with the minor mods I have? I have seen some people run straight washer fluid as well. Please help.

·
Flossin'
2,088 Posts
This is from Snow's site, so you may wanna check with Cooling Mist. They would be the ones I would ask. but IIRC, the lower the rating (say -40), the higher the methanol content.

• Boost Juice®: This is the best fluid to use and is Snow Performance’s 49% methanol, 51% water mixture that can be shipped to your door or picked up at a local dealer. (If you are using your washer reservoir as the injection tank, Boost Juice® is a great washer fluid – works as a de-icer!)
• Windshield Washer fluid: Only if it is blue in color and rated for -20 deg F. This means it is safe to use and made of about 30% methanol, 70% water. If it is another color or another temperature rating, do not use it. It should NOT have any extra additives or features.
• You can “spike” your Blue -20 Washer fluid to a 50% mixture by adding 3 12OZ yellow bottles of Heet® gas-line-antifreeze to every gallon of washer fluid.
• Mix your own: You just need to make sure the methanol is “neat” and contains no lubricants or other additives. We recommend a 50% mixture.
• Ethanol: It is not as good as methanol, but it can be used as a 2nd best option if you can’t find methanol. It can also be mixed with water up to 50%.
• Do NOT use E85 or any other fluid with gasoline mixed in. It will destroy the fluid delivery part of your Boost Cooler® and instantly void the warranty.
• Isopropyl/Denatured Alcohols: These can be used, but are not as good as methanol. They have a lower BTU, or energy content, and a lower latent heat of vaporization (fancy way of saying how much heat they absorb) as well as a lower octane rating compared to methanol.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so can I run straight washer fluid normally with no side effects?

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Straight washer fluid is only 32 percent methanol to water ratio. They just did an article in Diesel Power on the snow system and they ran as much as 75 percent methanol while using a module to control when and how much spray would be added.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wont that cause problems in the long run? im thinking meth as a fuel that combusts before top dead center causing a pressure spike in the cylinder and i know that is harmful. is im thinking right here or am i in left field?

·
wheres the fat chicks?
1,833 Posts
ya.the Diesel Power article said that going above 50/50 is at your own risk.they tell u to keep it at that ratio or lower to keep the temperature is cylinder down cuz like you said its bad.the windshield whipper fluid made 27HP on a dodge.not bad i think

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
You need to use a controller so that it does not introduce the meth injection before tdc.

·
wheres the fat chicks?
1,833 Posts
:whs:Snow performance kit

·
Registered
448 Posts
as meth ^ so does pressure and temperature..and sadly power, as water ^ temperature decreases, pressure decreases, and power can still be added...

kams reccomendation: run washer fluid level ratio mixture for cruising and traveling, run a 50% mixture once a month-ish to have fun with- run 75% mixture at the track and sled pulls....only if you're studded and fire ringed though...depending on boost of course

1 - 10 of 10 Posts