Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Looking for some insight, Driving today to get food 3 miles away lost acceleration for a brief second ( almost felt like it needed to shift but wouldn't ) then was normal again, Parked, came back 2 minutes later and truck cranked for a good 5 seconds at what sounded like double speed then started. Kinda weird as its never done that before. Drove half a mile down the road and lost all acceleration, engine shut off and dash lights came on ( oil, battery, and i think cel... obviously from the engine shutting off ) managed to have enough speed at the time to coast through a stop sign and into a parking lot before running out of momentum. Put it in park shut the key off and tried starting and just kept cranking, but it sounded like it was cranking at x2 the speed as it normally does and wouldn't stop cranking until i turned the key in the off pos. Called my buddy that lived 40 minutes away to come pull me home the rest of the 2 miles. He did jerk me a couple times taking off from dead stops. Got home and truck started instantly first try. Throughout this whole time I never had any pending DTCs or lights. no stored or pending codes currently or before hand. Kind of nervous to drive the truck anywhere if it happens again in a bad spot. Anyone have any ideas? Listed below will be things i've checked and any mods done... Thanks guys!
Checked -
Fuel Pressure @ idle - 5800psi ( give or take )
Fuel pressure priming ( when key is cycled on and off ) - 90 to 127psi
Oil level good ( changed roughly 2500 miles ago with filter )
Trans Level good ( trans replaced 4900 miles ago )
Voltage good @ 14.1-14.7 while running
All Fuses are good / not blown ( did not check relays, given truck starts at the moment currently assuming they are all fine? )

Mods -
2010 F350 SRW 4x4 6.4
EGR full delete
DPF delete
aFe performance intake
Aux trans cooler
Running Spartan 275 tune ( with egr disabled )

Also if it matters at all, I have gone to the 310 tune but backed down when i blew the 3rd trans, if i load any tune under the 275 though I have almost no power. Takes over 63 seconds to get to 60mph. Its like i have no boost and super sluggish. Boost doesn't manage to get over 15psi on anything lower then 275. which only happened after running the 310 tune. I was on the 150 ( i think it was ) for quite a while and truck was nice and peppy, even stock was much better then now. I've tried loading every tune from the 275 down and every tune including stock treats it like it has no boost or atleast feels that way. Maybe a separate issue? Figured id throw that in just incase. ( and if anyone knows why please let me know.... Im tired of killing transmissions on high tunes lol )

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey guys, Looking for some insight, Driving today to get food 3 miles away lost acceleration for a brief second ( almost felt like it needed to shift but wouldn't ) then was normal again, Parked, came back 2 minutes later and truck cranked for a good 5 seconds at what sounded like double speed then started. Kinda weird as its never done that before. Drove half a mile down the road and lost all acceleration, engine shut off and dash lights came on ( oil, battery, and i think cel... obviously from the engine shutting off ) managed to have enough speed at the time to coast through a stop sign and into a parking lot before running out of momentum. Put it in park shut the key off and tried starting and just kept cranking, but it sounded like it was cranking at x2 the speed as it normally does and wouldn't stop cranking until i turned the key in the off pos. Called my buddy that lived 40 minutes away to come pull me home the rest of the 2 miles. He did jerk me a couple times taking off from dead stops. Got home and truck started instantly first try. Throughout this whole time I never had any pending DTCs or lights. no stored or pending codes currently or before hand. Kind of nervous to drive the truck anywhere if it happens again in a bad spot. Anyone have any ideas? Listed below will be things i've checked and any mods done... Thanks guys!
Checked -
Fuel Pressure @ idle - 5800psi ( give or take )
Fuel pressure priming ( when key is cycled on and off ) - 90 to 127psi
Oil level good ( changed roughly 2500 miles ago with filter )
Trans Level good ( trans replaced 4900 miles ago )
Voltage good @ 14.1-14.7 while running
All Fuses are good / not blown ( did not check relays, given truck starts at the moment currently assuming they are all fine? )

Mods -
2010 F350 SRW 4x4 6.4
EGR full delete
DPF delete
aFe performance intake
Aux trans cooler
Running Spartan 275 tune ( with egr disabled )

Also if it matters at all, I have gone to the 310 tune but backed down when i blew the 3rd trans, if i load any tune under the 275 though I have almost no power. Takes over 63 seconds to get to 60mph. Its like i have no boost and super sluggish. Boost doesn't manage to get over 15psi on anything lower then 275. which only happened after running the 310 tune. I was on the 150 ( i think it was ) for quite a while and truck was nice and peppy, even stock was much better then now. I've tried loading every tune from the 275 down and every tune including stock treats it like it has no boost or atleast feels that way. Maybe a separate issue? Figured id throw that in just incase. ( and if anyone knows why please let me know.... Im tired of killing transmissions on high tunes lol )
I’m not sure but want to follow. Might be a dumb thought but have you checked intercooler, connections, etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m not sure but want to follow. Might be a dumb thought but have you checked intercooler, connections, etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry for some reason notifications were not working and i never saw you reply.
Heres an update for anyone following or might be able to chime in. April 6th when it happened ( last month as it stands right now ) after we jerked it home a couple miles it started up no problems. Did a few launches to check load and fuel pressure and everything was good. Drove it no issues then 2 days ago ( may 4th ) it happened again. Same exact issues. Driving normally and engine stalled out. Although this time i had my tuner gauges on to see if by chance it did happen again, Intake air temp was 91* ( was 66* outside so way hotter then it shoulda been for a 15 minute drive ) Oil and coolant temps were normal around 201-203* and fuel pressure was normal. Took my buddy (same one as last time ) about an hour and half to get to me and drag me home this time me being a good 10 miles from home vs 2 miles last time, when he got me the truck had been sitting for roughly 45 minutes off as it wouldnt start back, would crank and crank but nothing like last time, although now after sitting the IAT was 128* while the truck was off which kinda stumped me and it was under 70* outside. Got dragged home again like last time with some good jerks from chains and IAT was 90* when we got to the house, and yet again like last time she started right up after the 3rd crank. No diesel shop will touch the truck around me unless I can duplicate the problem which it being random i cannot. I went ahead and ordered a ford dealership scan system ( VCM3 + IDS ) to hopefully give me some information on whats going on. Yesterday I pulled the cold air intake, coolant degas bottle / battery tray, and the intake elbow just to make sure no clogs where visible. Coolant was actually almost empty in the degas bottle / reservoir which kind of concerns me. Dont think an engine should be consuming coolant. Ordered 8 gallons of Gold coolant that comes today to do a full flush and refill. Engine oil was about 2qts low ( Truck does have a slight oil leak, have yet to find it, so not suprised there ) but also has been dawning on me my exhaust gas temp sensors have not worked in almost 6 months, Wondering if there could be a conflict in my tune to allow the regen cycle again when it should be disabled, I heard if the 6.4 goes to regen and the last exhaust temp sensor isnt working it will shut the engine down without throwing codes. Which is why im stumped being there are no codes getting thrown. OR a chaffed wire somewhere that shorts out randomly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts