Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have a 02 7.3, i bought the truck and needed injectors so i exchanged with a good set that i new worked, i replaced all the o rings and all is well, the truck died on me about 100 miles after all this and i swapped icp, ipr cps all that stuff and still wood not start so i decided to give it a shot of ether and it fired up and ran fine no other issues, so i proceeded and i have been driving truck and it has been doing good pry another 500 miles on it, 2day i was goin down the road and it died again, it will crank and crank and no start, but will fire right up on ether, i no the first time i thought it mite have some air in the system from the injector swap but that should all be gone by no, it died on me twice 2day but will fire right back up with ether, and suggestions iam stumped, it runs perfect when its running!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i no not to use ether but when its 20 degrees out and ur broke down on the side of the road its worth a shot, i used a grey one but came from a running engine, i dont think its the cps!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok so this truck has been running fine for 3 or 4 weeks, 2nite on the way home i laid in the throttle to pass a car about 30mph and then let of the throttle and truck died, wood not start, finally started with a shot of ether ya i no, made it about 8 miles and truck died again, it would start on ether but white unburnt fuel smoke really bad wood come and go and wood only stay running if u were on the throttle as soon as i let of it wood die, any ideas iam thinking its a ipr icp oil issue wood any of those cause that kinda smoke? and how do u clean the ipr i no i have heard of it b4?

·
Harl
705 Posts
Ide say IPR. My truck (96) has only did it two times in the last 3 years. Once driving and once in the driveway. Shoot some stinky gas in it and she fires up.. Guess the origs are getting wore out.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Ide say IPR. My truck (96) has only did it two times in the last 3 years. Once driving and once in the driveway. Shoot some stinky gas in it and she fires up.. Guess the origs are getting wore out.
:whs: .. I second the IPR, it sounds like it is intermittently failing. When it is failing to start what is the ICP?? It needs to be above 500psi IIRC to fire the injectors.

Any codes? Connect a scanner and pull whatever is in there even if the SES light is not lit.. You have to have something in there..

BTW, I use starting fluid too when in single digits and she does not want to start. One blast in the air cleaner and it starts fine. If it isn't starting when very cold and you're cranking.. you're just dumping more unburned fuel into the engine and soaking it

·
Registered
746 Posts
Instead of starting fluid, try carb clean, it works the same and doesnt [email protected] up your glow plugs

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
iam goin to the shop 2nite to mess with it and put on the scanner and i will let u no what i find thanx for the responses!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
update so i put scanner on and data read like this while cranking
ipr %65
icp 84
icp (v) .35

so i went in and removed ipr, what i found was a very dirty ipr, i had another 1 that i had cleaned so i swapped it out, truck started up but ran very poorly i am assuming air in hpop, so i let it idle for a while and it seemed to smooth out considerable still had a slight miss on hard acceleration around 2000 rpm, iam gonna drive it more 2morrow with scanner on it and see what the data looks like and i will post updates

·
Horsepower Enthusiast
370 Posts
Why would starting fluid f'up glow plugs and carb cleaner won't? If you can convince me I will move to carb cleaner.
I use WD40 if a truck won't fire cold at the shop, it doesn't burn as fast and violent as starter fluid, it does the job pretty well.

When you have to deal with mushroomed glow plugs from using either you learn to stay away from it. :badidea:

·
Registered
746 Posts
Why would starting fluid f'up glow plugs and carb cleaner won't? If you can convince me I will move to carb cleaner.
Im not sure... All I know is I used carb clean for two winters, and my buddy used starting fluid for one winter, my glow plugs are ok, his truck is now bottle dependant to start

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok sorry guys truck is running and running good this is not a post to hear about every1s stories on how or what to do and use with starting fluid or ether, thanx for all the post on helping me with actually getting the truck running!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Im not sure... All I know is I used carb clean for two winters, and my buddy used starting fluid for one winter, my glow plugs are ok, his truck is now bottle dependant to start
I'll give it a shot, Don't actually use it a lot, but I'll put a can of carb cleaner in the truck

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
ok sorry guys truck is running and running good this is not a post to hear about every1s stories on how or what to do and use with starting fluid or ether, thanx for all the post on helping me with actually getting the truck running!
It's all relevant, glad your truck is running.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts