Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done some searching and Im not finding the answer. Truck is an early '99 F350.

Ran out of fuel this morning about a mile from the fuel station. Called my neighbor who ran me up to the station and I put about 3 gallons in the truck (size of the can he brought me). I cycled the pump about 5 times before I tried cranking, but it still wouldnt fire off. Opened the filter, and there was barely any fuel in there. Filled it up and put the lid back on, cycled the key a couple more times before cranking. Still no fire. So I towed it back to my house with my other '99 F250, still couldnt get it fire off, so I gave up and left for thanksgiving dinner with family.

My FIL said that 3 gallons probably wasnt enough fuel in the tank, so when I got home I grabbed 2 cans and put 12 more gallons in it.

I hit the drain valve and drained about half the bowl, and cycled the key and the bowl isnt filling back up (have the filter in and lid on). Ive cycled the key/pump probably 10 times and it seems to not be pumping at all, and Im stumped.

·
Paul
160 Posts
You can pull the fuel line off the inlet side of the pump and stick a piece of hose on into one of your fuel jugs and cycle the key to prime the pump.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is your pump running?
Pump is running, but its loud like its sucking air compared to my other truck that sounds like you can hear fuel running through.

You can pull the fuel line off the inlet side of the pump and stick a piece of hose on into one of your fuel jugs and cycle the key to prime the pump.
Gonna try this now. Thanks.

·
Paul
160 Posts
5/16 inch
oops! that's the ID sorry.

·
Paul
160 Posts
Keep us posted.

·
look what i can do
1,833 Posts
Man im in the same exact situation I've replaced the pump and can get it to start but it'll only tun for about a minute then die im stumped

·
Registered
324 Posts
Where's a good place to find a new pump?

Btw good luck guys!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright I got her running!

I took the inlet line off and put rubber line on and ran it into a fuel can. It sounded like it was sucking, but wasnt filling the fuel bowl.

So my wife brought me home a Napa fuel pump.

Before I put the new pump in, I took the old one out, hooked it to 12v with the rubber line hooked up and I got it to pump fuel. I then took an air hose and blew air into the fuel line going to the filter housing, as soon as I let off it spit air and then started pouring fuel out, I then hooked the pump to the fuel line and sucked fuel from the fuel can and it filled the filter housing. After that I hooked it all back up, primed it a couple of times to be sure, and it fired right off, but ran rough for a few min. I let it idle for a few, then revved it and its now running good, still a bit of air it seems but should be worked out the next time I drive it.

I must've had one big air bubble in the line, because it wouldnt let the pump push any fuel through.

·
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
2,347 Posts
sounds like the screen at the inlet of the pump got pluged up...have you done the in tank mod yet??

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just thought I'd throw out another tip for anyone thats doing some future searching.

Early this morning I was laying in bed thinking about this, when I realized I never actually drained the fuel filter housing completely. I always left some fuel in it, thus making the air bubble that was in the fuel line harder for the fuel pump to pump out. If I'd have drained the bowl completely, the air in the line would've been able to escape easier and the pump would've filled the bowl up. No need to remove the pump.

Live and learn.

sounds like the screen at the inlet of the pump got pluged up...have you done the in tank mod yet??
I dont think it was plugged, but I did blow air into the tank just to make sure. I just picked this truck up two weeks ago, so no the in tank pickup isnt modded. I have an extra fuel tank with the pickup still in it, that I'll probably do the mod to, then just swap out the assemblies.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts