Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Needing Carbon Credits
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next week I am going to tackle the front end. Ball joints, axle pivot bushings, and radius arm bushings. Is anyone running the Moog adjustable radius arm bushings? If so do you think they work like they are advertised?
Thanks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
In my many years of experience doing alignments on Fords mostly I have never once HAD to put them in. If your caster and camber is off then your are best off replacing the parts that are causing it. On the independent front ends it's almost always just bushings. Pivots and shackles. A spring shop can fix it up the right way for a lot less than you would think.
Those bushings are a common fix for alignment shops that don't know what the hell they are doing.

·
Strokin'
113 Posts
In my many years of experience doing alignments on Fords mostly I have never once HAD to put them in. If your caster and camber is off then your are best off replacing the parts that are causing it. On the independent front ends it's almost always just bushings. Pivots and shackles. A spring shop can fix it up the right way for a lot less than you would think.
Those bushings are a common fix for alignment shops that don't know what the hell they are doing.
Im beginning to think this is what is wrong with my alignment. I had it aligned last week but its still not right so it goes back tomorrow. Is there an easy way to check the bushings?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just look at them. If the bolt looks off center then the bushing is bad. For the pivot bushings that effects camber real bad.
For radius arm bushings your toe is impossible to set with them bad.
With spring bushings they can screw everything up. Rear ones too. Rears should outlast most of the trucks but I have seen them go bad on heavy haulers like mine.
Front ones can effect caster and camber depending on which one is bad. They can also effect your toe staying where you set it.

If any of you are near Lubbock we have a great spring shop here. There is one in most places with a lot of big trucks.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Bushings don't last at all as its the only way the front can flex is on the bushings..new center pivot bushings and new front shackles..

·
Registered
51 Posts
I would recommend them for pivot bushings and maybe radius arm bushings but not for the springs. Not if you want to keep your current girlfriend or wife anyways. They get a little harsh on the springs. I've done them on several hotrods and only one truck. I went back to rubber on the truck within a month when my wife got on me about it.

I hope you can find a spring shop to do it too. It's well worth it and keep in mind I almost never recommend letting any shop do work on someones truck. This is the only thing I would ever farm out on mine. For what it costs to have done right it's worth it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts