Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, so I'm about to embark on changing my radiator support I got a brand new one when I bought the truck, however I can't get the hood open it was open before but two days ago I was driving and it flew open. So I slammed it shut and now it won't open. Not to mention the previous owner had the radiator support mostly out before I bought it so any suggestions on how to open it I pull the hood thing in the interior nothing happens the secondary latch lever on the rad support nothing. Also this isn't related but I have a ABS light that comes on and my brake light occasionally decides to pop on, the truck has brand new brake lines and is full of fluid. I tried plugging in the scan tool to figure out the abs light and I tried two and they won't connect they stop at the ISO protocol and then keyword 2000 pops up. As you can see I have a little project going on here. Thank you for the help I know I'm throughing a lot at you guys.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
where did you get the new radiator support?
you sure its not the gas version? double check before you tear it apart and find out otherwise

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a brand new from keystone auto body parts, the only thing that worries me it says no air conditioning support and the truck has air conditioning. I'm assuming it's for the diesel I mean they look very similar. I got the hood open as well. Now I just need to figure out the obd2 issue and the abs/brake light issue.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I'm sorry but there are absolutely no radiator supports available for the OBS diesels anymore, none, nada, zilch. I don't mean to be a downer, but it's a fact do a search on here there are 20 threads discussing this very issue. You have 3 options (that I feel are reasonable). 1) find a rust free factory support 2) Fix the rust on the support you already have 3) If the bottom radiator loop is not rusted on yours, you can mate that to a gasser support after you remove the bottom loop for the gasser radiator. This is what I would suggest since you already most likely have a new support that is actually for a gas engine OBS.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How would I know if the rad support is for a gas or not

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

Here are pic of it, the label says 92-97 ford pickup diesel, im just going based off what the seller told me and the package please let me know though. And if it is the correct one, should I be concerned that it says no A/C support? The truck has A/C.
Also any idea on the OBD2 issue/ ABS/Brake Light indicator on dash?

·
Registered
229 Posts
that looks like a support for a gasser, the bottom doesn't seem to drop down far enough to be for a diesel. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will confirm this. the diffrence between the two is a diesel uses a much larger radiator therefore it will need a larger support. I'm in the same boat as you, I'm in need of a core support badly but haven't been able to find one.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
The fact that it's new automatically means it's for a gas engine. As said above nobody makes a new support for a diesel. Every one of them also incorrectly advertises them as usable on a diesel.

For your hood look into the holes in the grille. You can see the latch and reach the bolts that hold it to the radiator support. Unbolt them and you can then open the hood. A 1/4" drive socket or a ratcheting box end works well. IIRC, the bolt heads are 10mm.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got the hood open thank you though, I'm just confused it looks like he bought it back in 03 from the label so...... Maybe since its not brand new although it is???
Any thoughts on my other issues. I guess I will measure tomorrow to confirm thank you.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Here's one I got last year. Used of course because there are no new ones available.

Please note the difference in the drop as compared to the one you show.

Dan

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
What year is your truck? (Important information to put in your opening post; don't bother putting it in your signature, as signatures are wasteful of real estate and are frequently disabled, and are typically not seen by mobile device users.)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You guys are right , darn thought I lucked out guess not lol, sorry.
Any idea on my other issues. And a 1996 f250 dot reg cab long bed 7.3 #newbie lol.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,332 Posts
DIESEL supports are 29" tall(top to bottom)

Gas is 24" tall

The aftermarket LIES and SAYS they have a diesel support but they just sell you a gasser.

Have have Used rust free DIESEL supports for sale if you need one

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
DIESEL supports are 29" tall(top to bottom)

Gas is 24" tall

The aftermarket LIES and SAYS they have a diesel support but they just sell you a gasser.

Have have Used rust free DIESEL supports for sale if you need one
How much are you asking?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm sorry but there are absolutely no radiator supports available for the OBS diesels anymore, none, nada, zilch. I don't mean to be a downer, but it's a fact do a search on here there are 20 threads discussing this very issue. You have 3 options (that I feel are reasonable). 1) find a rust free factory support 2) Fix the rust on the support you already have 3) If the bottom radiator loop is not rusted on yours, you can mate that to a gasser support after you remove the bottom loop for the gasser radiator. This is what I would suggest since you already most likely have a new support that is actually for a gas engine OBS.
Wellllll before to put your foot in your mouth better have all the facts! This is a brand new diesel core support...yes it’s for a diesel. Just finished installing it.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Since the post was from 2015, I'm sure he's had plenty of time to remove his foot. :rolleyes:
Cheers!

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Also back in 2015 there were no new core supports available for the diesel truck. You could get them for a gas one but not a diesel.

·
Registered
394 Posts

·
STILL LEARNING
18,332 Posts
You do realize this thread was from 6 years ago, right? LMC started making your tinfoil thing support about 2-3 years ago.Maybe YOU should put your foot in your mouth know it all.
View attachment 203409 Wellllll before to put your foot in your mouth better have all the facts! This is a brand new diesel core support...yes it’s for a diesel. Just finished installing it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts