Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
CAT lover
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, finally going to be tackling the radiator core support replacement which I’ll definitely document with pictures.

Getting my supplies together and wanted to order some of the Ford clip nuts AKA U-Nuts (LOL)

Anyone know offhand what the most common sizes of those guys are on our fords? I was thinking about ordering some m6, m8 and m10 sets like these

Retro-Motive Body Bolts & U-nut Clips- M8-1.25 x 30mm Long- 13mm Hex- Fits GM- 20 pcs-(1899/1926) #1888

·
CAT lover
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ordered M8, M6 and 5/16 u-nuts and bolts. Should do the trick, we will see! kicking off the project next week.

Sucks I ordered my rad core support from LMC truck a few years ago and just getting around to it now, the price dropped to $229 FYI!

·
Trust me, I got this...
1,286 Posts
I was going to say, I think M8 is the most common one....

I ordered the LMC one a few months back, its very nice and I'm glad it dropped in price haha.

·
CAT lover
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was going to say, I think M8 is the most common one....

I ordered the LMC one a few months back, its very nice and I'm glad it dropped in price haha.
Yeah it’s definitely good quality, bummed I spent extra money but it’s finally going to be installed!

·
Master BS'er
5,921 Posts
I see, that makes sense.

I don't see much of that around here. The only trucks that are rusted badly aren't from around here. Not that I'm complaining about that

·
CAT lover
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Replace it because of rot. Basically nothing in there right now LOL just empty space and old rust

·
CAT lover
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Was driving the truck this morning like usual, was about 30 degrees out so I kicked it into high idle and let it warm up. Left the house and got on highway. Driving on the highway the torque converter won’t lock. Never had this problem before? Transmission is built and has always shifted great. Alway ran trucool cooler and never overheated it. Tried pushing OD off and back on and nothing happens. It came up over 100° so it’s def warm enough to lock.

3rd brake light is good.

Any ideas where to start? This is my daily driver and this has not been an issue before. Doesn’t even seem like it’s commanding the lock.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Check plug on tranny to make sure it is tight. You did say it had been 'built". I take it the tach is working correctly.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
You may want to start a different thread about the torque converter since it has nothing to do with a core support and those in the know may not even look at this thread.

·
CAT lover
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Check plug on tranny to make sure it is tight. You did say it had been 'built". I take it the tach is working correctly.
Ok good tip I’ll check it out. Yes transmission was built about 20k ago by a very reputable shop and I’ve had no issues over the last 3 years since then.

·
Master BS'er
5,921 Posts
Was driving the truck this morning like usual, was about 30 degrees out so I kicked it into high idle and let it warm up. Left the house and got on highway. Driving on the highway the torque converter won’t lock. Never had this problem before? Transmission is built and has always shifted great. Alway ran trucool cooler and never overheated it. Tried pushing OD off and back on and nothing happens. It came up over 100° so it’s def warm enough to lock.

3rd brake light is good.

Any ideas where to start? This is my daily driver and this has not been an issue before. Doesn’t even seem like it’s commanding the lock.
Yes, start with a scanner. It could be lots of things, from electrical to hydraulic to a bad solenoid to a bad converter.

·
CAT lover
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So forget the trans issue I’ll figure that out later.

Got the radiator core support job well underway today.

Started pulling it apart about 3pm this afternoon. Even though I’ve had the headlight panel out before and lubricated the bolts very well, they still fought me all the way and broke 2. Whatever.

Got the rad core support out and most of the body mounts came with it.

Here’s how much room there is for activities now!

Rad core support remnants

More junk

Drivers fender removed

New fendahhh

So that’s as far as I got today, feel like it was pretty good progress. Tomorrow afternoon it’ll be back to it. Once the fenders are installed and aligned as best as I can I’ll bring it to my paint guy and see how good he can match the rest of the truck. Not looking for perfection on my old girl but aiming for it to be not one of those trucks you can see the garbage paint job on replaced body parts from 1/4 mile away.

·
CAT lover
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Some more progress yesterday

Removed the old body mounts with a little help from me.oxy-acetelyne. Installed the new body mounts, got them from LMC truck. They seem like good quality and came with all the hardware I needed.

Dressing out the new core support. It’s really actually pretty nice. I wish the fenders were the same level of quality as the core support

I got the passenger fender replaced as well. It didn’t line up as well as drivers but it’ll do. I’m not looking for perfection just no rot holes would be nice.

·
CAT lover
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well got it back together and it’s awesome. And for once the body panels are actually straight and the front end isn’t sagging. Straight bumper and a happy truck!!!

Drives great and no noises. And thank god I realigned my pulleys and no more F**KING squeak!!!!!

Off to paint in 2 weeks. For now just put a full gallon of fluid film on the frame and under body.

·
Trust me, I got this...
1,286 Posts
The end product looks SUPER clean! I love it! Also, wanna sell me your driver door? Jk lol but you do have the same color as I do.

·
CAT lover
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The end product looks SUPER clean! I love it! Also, wanna sell me your driver door? Jk lol but you do have the same color as I do.
Yes same color. Love the green! My doors are pretty good but have a little rust on the bottom. Being in the salt band sucks :( :frown: :crying:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts