Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's right. Navistar will quit making the 6.4 stroker for :ford: as of July 31, 2009, and will sell the engines throughout the end of the year in the super duty lineup.

According to page 14 of the June '09 diesel world I got in the mail yesterday Ford and Navistar reached an agreement to terminate their current engine supply agreement effective Dec. 31, 2009 with engine production stopping July 31 this year, closing the indianapolis engine plant.

Does this mean we'll see the :bow:scorpion engine available in Jan. 2010? I hope so. Time will tell unless one of you know more than me (not that it takes much for that.

Not only does this excite me, but according to the following page, GM is planning on offering their mini duramax in the 1/2 ton models for the 2010 model year. Hopefully this means the 4.4 turbodiesel Ford has ready will also be introduced at the same time.

Maybe the site will have to be renamed powerstrokeandscorpionnation.com. hmmmm. might have to work on than one.:ford:

·
That thing got a Cummins?
1,229 Posts
Maybe finally able to get a cummins in a ford? I guess that would make it to easy for ford to finally put the right engine in the best chassis

·
Registered
871 Posts
The 6.4 is shorter lived than the 6.0 but I am anxious to see the new diesel they will be using

·
IM OUT!!!
4,548 Posts
now aint that a b!tch!!! first cali smogs diesels, now this...

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe finally able to get a cummins in a ford?:blah: I guess that would make it to easy for ford to finally put the :blah:right:blah: engine in the best chassis

The replacement for the 6.4 will be the scorpion, built in house, common rail injected V8. 6.7L I believe. I'll have to check to be sure.

·
Laces Out
12,314 Posts
That's right. Navistar will quit making the 6.4 stroker for :ford: as of July 31, 2009, and will sell the engines throughout the end of the year in the super duty lineup.

According to page 14 of the June '09 diesel world I got in the mail yesterday Ford and Navistar reached an agreement to terminate their current engine supply agreement effective Dec. 31, 2009 with engine production stopping July 31 this year, closing the indianapolis engine plant.

Does this mean we'll see the :bow:scorpion engine available in Jan. 2010? I hope so. Time will tell unless one of you know more than me (not that it takes much for that.

Not only does this excite me, but according to the following page, GM is planning on offering their mini duramax in the 1/2 ton models for the 2010 model year. Hopefully this means the 4.4 turbodiesel Ford has ready will also be introduced at the same time.

Maybe the site will have to be renamed powerstrokeandscorpionnation.com. hmmmm. might have to work on than one.:ford:
thats yesterday's news!!! good thing is, navistar will continue making that motor for a long time to come. sp parts, etc..will always be easy to come by.

p.s. plan on another 4 years before the "scorpion" does anything of value...thats a long wait. but i did hear it should be strong out the box..before the epa has their way with it.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's a link to some info. I don't know if I believe everything here but 6.7L, +3 mpg over 6.4, 390+ hp, and 720+ tq with compound turbos sounds good to me. It also said something about aluminum, backwards flow heads so the exhaust exits into the valley, shortening the exhaust manifold to turbo distance dramatically. pull off all that emissions crap, and I'd LOVE to see what this baby will do!!
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/03/spied-new-ford-scorpion-diesel-underhood-photos.html

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thats yesterday's news!!! good thing is, navistar will continue making that motor for a long time to come. sp parts, etc..will always be easy to come by.

p.s. plan on another 4 years before the "scorpion" does anything of value...thats a long wait. but i did hear it should be strong out the box..before the epa has their way with it.
so when did you find out navistar will end production engines for Ford as of 7/31/09? That's significant enough news that if it were out sooner, somebody should have mentioned it here. It hasn't been set in stone that long, has it? Having said that, I'd love a 6.4. it's a great engine with a lot more legitimate potential than the 6.0 or 7.3. Not dogging the 6.4 here, just excited to see what the in-house engine will do.

·
Village Idiot
1,054 Posts
GM just issued a statement less than 2 weeks ago that the light duty Dmax had been shelved. I read the official GM statement not some magazine BS that's months behind the times. GM Official Statement

Ford followed right behind them announcing that their light duty diesel was also on hold due to "no sufficient market demand". This one really pisses me off. Ford has done this crap for years. Dodge is right about one thing, "lead, follow or get out of the way". Ford likes to follow. They have the chance to be the first to market with something and they choose to sit on it until the competition forces them to bring it to market. Unbelievable!

·
Registered
172 Posts
good thing is, navistar will continue making that motor for a long time to come. sp parts, etc..will always be easy to come by.
This is the major reason i bought now then waited until 2010... I have more confidence that international will make parts available in the future then ford will if they decided to do something screwy.... I know it is unlikely but you always have to think of where parts will come from 5, 10 or even 15 years down range. My daily driver is an 18yr old suburban, so for me I also think 20yr down range... :D

·
1,229 Posts
I just want an inline 6 cylinder engine in these trucks, don't really care who builds it, but would prefer a cummins IMO

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
This is the major reason i bought now then waited until 2010... I have more confidence that international will make parts available in the future then ford will if they decided to do something screwy.... I know it is unlikely but you always have to think of where parts will come from 5, 10 or even 15 years down range. My daily driver is an 18yr old suburban, so for me I also think 20yr down range... :D
I'm not saying its happening, but think about it....International may not even be in the business 10 years from now. The Sterling truck brand was just killed and Daimler is obligated to 10 years of parts support (unless its a firetruck or school bus). If the part is not popular, a supplier can kill it immediately after that time.

We are a Ford supplier and agreements with their parts suppliers extend out about 10 years after the end of production on a given platform. If the part makes money and demand stays high (like the CPS LOL), ya keep making them; but if not, they're dead. Example--show me a plentiful stock of reasonably priced OBS interior parts...

·
Registered
172 Posts
You are right. You have to hope that there are enough of the truck, frame, axle, trans, engine or body style built that they will still be on the road for years to come. While ford only used the 6.4 for two years international will use it for many more years.

·
HONDA HUNTER
308 Posts

a guy at ford when i was there a couple days ago told me 2011 was the year for the 150 diesel

·
I bleed blue!
334 Posts
I just want an inline 6 cylinder engine in these trucks, don't really care who builds it, but would prefer a cummins IMO
I don't think you will ever see a inline 6 or a cummins in a production ford. I heard a long time ago Ford actually had owned or had shares of the cummins but sold all of it. Ya kinda saw the beginning of the end for the powerstroke when Ford and Navistar kept trying to sue one another over a bunch of different things. I might be wrong but hasn't Ford had there own diesel in europe for awhile now?:shrug: Maybe Ford wont have as many troubles with they're own motor if they have. I guess all we can do is just sit and wait.:popcorn:

·
2Cruel
1,645 Posts
I had a friend that works at a dodge dealer who just took his 2009 cummins service class, The new dodge computers will nopt accept anytype of programer, and when a programer is installed it will lock the computer down into limp mode and the truck will not start till it is dealer flashed....... and warranty black flagged!!

Travis

·
1,229 Posts
Dodge is also issueing a recall on all 6.7 trucks for a computer reflash so they will do the same thing! I would not take the truck in for the reflash. BTW, does anyone know what happens after the trucks out of warrenty and people want to do some mods, If dodge will remove this particular program out of the computer,or are you forever stuck with a stock truck? If so, I'd love someone to sue dodge over this crap.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
I am intrested to see this new engine. Still trying to research more about it. Said to see the 6.4 go sounded like it was really coming around.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts