Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it is a big no-no to mix coolant due to silicates falling out of suspension and clogging things up. I'm running coolant, I think it is Zerex, that has the Cat EC-1 rating. I lost a little during some maintenance and I can't seem to find that brand in the local stores anymore. Can I top it off with another brand coolant if it is also EC-1? I have some Peak Final Charge sitting on a shelf. My understanding is that the EC-1 rating means there are no silicates to start with, so I feel like that wouldn't be a concern. Just want to be sure.

·
Trust me, I got this...
1,549 Posts
Im betting you could get some of whatever you got online. Maybe not as quick, but it's an option. If it's the same rating it should be alright as far as I know

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
284 Posts
Soooo..... Oreillys used to sell the zerex, idk if they still do though. I do recall The Zerex having silicates in it, which is why you don't see it recommended for the 6.0.
Adding distilled water will work, unless you live in an area that will see below 20 or above 120 degree Temps before you get it swapped out.
I'd flush and fill with Rotella or the stuff you have now, the Rotella is cheaper I believe. You also need to be able to buy full strength antifreeze for the initial fill, after that, the standard 50/50 can be used.

Just looked it up..... Zerex has 2 elc rated for diesels, one is the "heavy duty nitrate free" coolant, which is an oat coolant and w/o silicates, mixable with other oat coolants.
The other is just an elc (not "heavy duty" on the bottle).... It's not listed as silicate free, but is an oat, it is not listed as compatible with other oat antifreezes.

IMO, unless you are 100% sure which one you have, dump it and refill with a silicate free oat elc, this way, you'll know you are compatible with all antifreezes that fit that bill.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts