Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
<--before leveler & block
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Left front rim has black brake dust gathering on it, truck pulls left normally. If i hit the brakes ligtly ona moderated deceleration, it stops pulling left and evens out. If i push hard on the brakes it pulls right. After cruising dow the road for 10 miles the left front rotor is hot but brakes aren't smoking. hot enough that i can touch it for a second or so. The right rotor i can leave my hand on all day.

Does this mean that my left front caliper is sticking? Do i need to get a new caliper? or is this a different problem?

Thanks again in advance

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Rotors and brake pads still good???

·
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes they have/had plenty of pad left on them a couple thousand ago.

·
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The left one i suspect is getting down though because of the brake dust gathering on the rim. Not sure what else would be making it act like this :shrug: . I wouldn't think it would have anything to do with the master cylinder if its just the front left that seems to be the problem

·
Registered
7 Posts
my truck was doing the same thing and I found the sliders were siezed. I removed them and replaced them as they were corroded. I also regreased them with the hi temp silicone grease. The pulling went away.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Pull your brakes of. Remove the caliper pins clean them up, and the bores they go in. If they are pitted, replace them. Put some caliper grease on them, reinstall. Might want to scrub the pads on a level piece of concrete to knock the glaze off.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I had my left caliper freeze up just last month. Was actually only 1 of the pistons that froze. easy enough to check. just pull the wheel and try to compress the pistons.

If it doesn't compress, then it's either the caliper or brake line. If it will compress with the bleeder open, it's the line.

Also , if u do replace the caliper, be sure to do both sides at once.

·
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
why both sides at once? so the braking is even between the front tires?

·
Registered
74 Posts
First thing I check on a pull like that, is crack the bleeder on the side that has a pull (left in this case). If fluid quirts up (more than an inch), then it is probably the brake hose. If no fluid squirts, try colapsing the caliper. If it colapses OK, check the slides. If they slide OK, I would install a new caliper. We've had ALOT of calipers that would hang, and still compress somewhat.

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
why both sides at once? so the braking is even between the front tires?
Because they are both equally aged, and you prolly wouldn't feel real smart if you replaced one and put new pads and rotors on and the next week the other one seized and took out those brand new pads and rotor.

Not to mention for a mechanic working on a customer's vehicle that is the law, at least around here it is.

I would start by checking the guide pins. They seize on SD's so frequently that is the #1 problem I see, and here in the salt I usually relube them when I do a tire rotation.

If they are seized very badly, get a set of loaded calipers, you'll never get the rust out of the guide pin holes if they are already bone dry and rusted, you'll just be back here again in a few months.

Dave

·
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok thanks for the help. To be honest i replaced the caliper yesterday and it fixed my problem. One of the pistons was seized for some reason. So i guess i will do the same to the other side and then get new pads in a couple months along with having the rotors turned on a lathe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts