Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Not completely stoopid
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 96 F350 7.3 with an E40D that I believe is going out. When I first start the truck and put it in reverse it bogs the engine down and yesterday I had it completely stall on me. While cold it also takes a bit longer than normal to go into drive but once I pull out on the road she runs and shifts fine. I'm fully expecting the trans to die and already have the money put away to replace it when that happens but I was reading some forums and was just curious about what the usual life span is on these transmissions. My truck has 340k on it and I believe the stock trans. Just looking for some info. Thanks

·
Native Texan
9,037 Posts
Well it can depend on many things on how long they will live. it sounds like u have a converter problem. with the stalling. If it is shifting normal except when u first put it in gear could be caused by the rear fitting going bad or having been replaced it suppose to keep the system full to stop the delayed engagement. or it could be the trans going bad. have u had the codes read. does the over drive light flash. I would start by pulling the pan and seeing what's in the pan that will tell u a lot about the trans. if its full of material then I would plan on a transmission.

Give it to Mikey. He won't eat it he hates everything. Hey Mikey!! He Likes It.

·
Administrator
8,349 Posts
first thing i would do is check fluid level. when the fluid level is low it will hesitate to go into gear cold, and the torque converter will hang locked up when stopping.
as for life span, i have seen unmaintained and abused E4OD's blow at 30k miles, and very well maintained transmissions last over 600,000 miles.

·
Not completely stoopid
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll check the fluid as that could be part of my current issue. I did have a problem about a year ago now after driving about 200 miles where once I got off the highway she didn't want to shift into second. After letting her sit over night then manually shifting from 1st to 2nd then into drive it started shifting fine so that led me to think a new transmission was going to be coming my way. As for the fact that they can last up to 600k thats pretty amazing. I'm the second owner of my truck and once I replace it I will maintain it meticulously. I don't plan on getting rid of this truck so hopefully I can make the new one last the rest of my life.

·
Not completely stoopid
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Put a quart of mercon v in and shes doing fine in reverse and shifts a bit smoother. Still kind of concerned about what made it not want to shift into 2nd. It seems to run like when I first bought her but I'm afraid to go to far because I don't know if it will crap out on me again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts