Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the motor tore down yesterday, and the mains are completely shot on one side. but the other side is fine. My guess is that it's from the torque of the motor on the down stroke right? I am not the most experienced person in the world by any means but know a little about this. I took my block to the machine shop to get line honed and after that, judging from my walls and the pistons being worn on that one side I am looking to order .020 bore kit from ford, or somewhere else that has a kit. Does anyone have any experience at this, or have a bored 6.0? Exactly how reliable will this thing be boring it out? not had experience around boring diesels. And with the walls being closer to the water jets will it affect coolant temp a whole lot?Also while doing a little reading up on here, How similar are the cranks to the 6.4? and how hard will it to be to make this thing scream?? I do haul hay in the summers so this is my concern. Thanks guys!!

·
Sarcastic Bastard
422 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i know, my guess is the crank isn't completely in line, either that or possible bent crank? i did have 26 bales hooked on when it got hot... and thanks for the info cobra, i'll call him first thing monday

·
NSTY 6OH
207 Posts
My motor is .20 over. almost 7000 pretty hard miles on the build so far and all seems to be good.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well it's really not cheaper vs. dropping in a new motor, considering having to do the work to a new motor that i have to mine, I had the chance to buy one out of an 05 with 30k on it but when i told them to pull the pan they refused, plus the turbo was completely corroded and wouldn't bust free. parts are 2200 from ford and machine work is around 900 so i'll have probably close to 3500 in it this time. what's a reman run? 5 to 7000? and dangyo did you notice much in it hopping the motor up any??

·
Registered
357 Posts
generally fire rings seal well, but don't seem to last very long on a daily driver is what i thin people have found. a number of people have regretted it, and you can't go back once the block and heads have been cut. good studs,stock gasket, very flat head and block faces are what the really high HP are generally using

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the info guys, got all the parts ordered yesterday... $4,200 check... just lovely. Now I'm contemplating turning this crank and putting the smaller bearings in it... but i'm not completely confident in getting a perfectly round crank from the machine shop and just causing damage once again. I really don't feel like tearing this thing down again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts