Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I helped make ur rimz....
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys i need y'all to help me resolve an issue for me.

Me, my dad, and my uncle have been arguing about this the past week or so, and now i'm coming to y'all to help clarify this issue. when towing with my '95 dually E4OD w/ 4.10's, i was taught ( by my grandfather (r.i.p.)) that when you're towing with an automatic to ALWAYS keep it out of overdrive, this is what i have always done, and will continue to do. My uncle on the other hand says that when you're towing ( with o/d off): get it to the speed you want, set the cruise control on, and then push the o/d button to turn o/d on. He claims this does NO harm to the transmission at all. I'm calling bs on this one but i cant help but wonder if it's true, gut instinct says hell no, but i still wonder.... and lastly my dad claims that you do not need o/d off when towing with E4OD,( while pulling my cattle trailer) he says this does no harm to the transmission what so ever (LOL) please show me some data that proves otherwise to him. He needs to be educated, and refuses to listen to me quote on quote " because i was driving 15 years before you were even born, i think i know how to tow a bit more than you do..." so i asked him, so the last time you needed to borrow my dually and trailer, you towed it with o/d on?????" his response, " yeah i towed with it on, its not like it hurts the transmission at all." :doh::doh::doh: needless to say hes has been BANNED from even stepping near my truck, let alone riding/ driving it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
alot depends on what speeds he was pullin at also?

·
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
he claims the fastest he went was 68 MPH when towing my 26 foot gooseneck stock trailer.

·
Registered
15,561 Posts
from what I have been told is that you are to keep od off when you are driving in hills or areas where it will want to hunt for the gear, other then that it should be fine....... maybe mark will chime in and tell us the truth.

·
Fire junkie
536 Posts
Here is rule I go by with mine, and had not had any issue's, when pulling my big gooseneck (24' Big Tex) with 4-4.5 cords of firewood on it or a 28' gooseneck camper. I will start off with the O.D. off till I get up to speed the turn it on, now if I get into hills and it starts "hunting" I will back out some and turn the O.D. off till back on flat ground, sure others will chim in good luck

Roy

·
Registered
183 Posts
like countryboy said anytime its above 45 and it wants to start hunting for a gear might wanna take the od off to save on the tranny.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Like Rob says when it wants to start hunting for gears then push the button. If you are above 60 iirc you can hold are trucks to the floor and it will not down shift.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
My 4r100 is similar and leave it in OD unless it's hunting. Put a trans temp guage on it and watch the temps. When cruising on the flats in OD the temps will fall, put it in 3rd and the temps will climb. My trailer weighs 12K+ when loaded for a camping trip and I use this method in the mtns here in Az in extreem heat.

·
Banned
814 Posts
leave it in overdrive and let the trans do what it was ment to do... the only time i took min out of overdrive is when i was running in the mountins and the truck couldnt hold its speed in overdrive...

i drove my 97 over 100K miles pulling a 30K+ lb horse trailer with the trans in overdrive....

·
143 Posts
Read the book in the glove box.... Say tow in OD. Nuff said..

Mine is in OD unless I hit a hill and start to slow. Then I let off a little and
push the button, then jamb the peddle back down to recover any speed to
start passing the econo cars going up hill.... Nice hint of smoke from the
tail pipe (lots of noise too.. )

·
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sorry some of us bought our trucks used, and neither one of mine came with the book, already tried to download the manual,and that didnt go right.so i figured i would ask here.

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
My 4r100 is similar and leave it in OD unless it's hunting. Put a trans temp guage on it and watch the temps. When cruising on the flats in OD the temps will fall, put it in 3rd and the temps will climb. My trailer weighs 12K+ when loaded for a camping trip and I use this method in the mtns here in Az in extreem heat.
The 4R and E4 are very similar, but some things are not the same.

The E4OD has more flow to the coolers with the TC locked, while the 4R has more flow to the coolers with it unlocked. tbolt what you are seeing is the TC locking up at the same time your truck goes into OD. You're seeing the drop in temperature because the transmission is creating less heat with the TC locked.

On a stock transmission towing fairly heavy I always started with OD off, and then when I got to speed I would let off and let it go into OD. It wasn't really needed but it was easier on the OD clutch pack, and I was all for saving my trans back then. Now it's hammer down! :D

Dave

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I've never had the need to let off to get it into od. Maybe the tuning and vb. My trailer weighs 12K+ and I just drive it and it does it's thing. When starting an incline it will take care of itself unless I'm on a windy rd with switchbacks and then I take it out of od.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Tbolt you see a difference in installing just the VB???

·
Powerstroked
602 Posts
I prefer to manually turn Od off when towing, until I get up to speed. Reason being, my tunes all had it shift into OD at 35mph. Shifting into OD at 35 with a load just made it bellow smoke. So I always kept it out of OD until 50mph+.

My new tunes fixed that so I probably won't mess with the OD button unless I get into some hills

1 - 15 of 15 Posts