Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got new tires mounted on my stock rims, 285s. Originally I was just going to stick with 235s because my trucks lifted 6'' and I have a 20' trailer I tow and didn't want it any taller than it was.
I ended up going with 285s but I didn't notice until I got home they were only load range D vs. my old 235s with E.

Is it going to be that much different towing with the 285s? I know people say the sidewalls are 8 ply and it will feel like its swaying a little more.
and are the D range safe for towing? Trailer is usually empty when I tow it.

I know its a stupid question and I did a search on it, I'm just a little bummed I spent the money on new tires and its not completely what I wanted

·
Im stroke-less
291 Posts
I think you'd be aight as long as you didn't get to heavy.

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
Ive seen some E range tires with a lighter weight rating then some D range tires.

Ive pulled trailers hauling skid steers on 285s and the truck handled fine and pulled it fine, the 3.55s gearing did suck when taking off but the truck pulled it fine.

·
BrokeAss
841 Posts
I'm confused, do you put on a different set of tires just for towing, or do you always run around with a 6" lift and 30" tires?

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'm confused, do you put on a different set of tires just for towing, or do you always run around with a 6" lift and 30" tires?
I was thinkin that also??

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Winter tires= stock rims and new 285s or when I tow I put them on just so the truck isn't too tall and my trailer sits somewhat level

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Go online to the tirerack or the manufacturer and look up the carry capacity of you new 285's against your old "E" rated tires. Bet they may be close and as mentioned above have seen where 285 D's where rated = to or higher than 235 E's and same as some 285 E's too.... Only dif being side wall construction.

jrc

·
Cantankerous Old Redneck
627 Posts
the 285 d's will be fine as long as you don't load them to heavy.....read the sidewall of the tire, and make sure you have the maximum specified amount of air pressure in them ...and check them cold in the morning, before the sun hits them....I ran 285 d's for several years towing heavy, and was ok....they're just rated less capacity is all....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts