Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been seeing that a lot of you guys are doing the CCV mod to reduce the amount oil in the CAC tubes and intercooler.

I was wondering, has anyone actually removed the intercooler and attemted to drain the oil out? If so, how much oil was removed.

Is the oil actually a problem?

If I do it, I don't want oil to drip from the hose onto my driveway. What have people done to prevent this?

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
I don't have an intercooler, but my turbo had oil in it. I ran a hose from the ccv to the exh behind the axle and welded a bung into the exh. then hooked up the hose, I haven't looked to see how much oil is in the tail pipe yet but this way I don't have to service it either.

·
Lovin Life...
2,900 Posts
I have a Banks intercooler. I drained it out, sprayed simple green in it, and let it set over night. Then drained, rinsed, and let it dry for 2 days before installing. Probably got a pint of pure oil out of it.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I have a Banks intercooler. I drained it out, sprayed simple green in it, and let it set over night. Then drained, rinsed, and let it dry for 2 days before installing. Probably got a pint of pure oil out of it.

Did it make a difference in performance?

·
Metal - It kicks your ass
3,090 Posts
i did'nt clean out the ic but i would like to. When i did mine i took my ic tubes off and painted them. The inside was coated in oil and the boots were disgusting. There are no performance gains but it sure is a hell of a lot better then not re-routing it.

·
Lovin Life...
2,900 Posts
Did it make a difference in performance?
I did so much else while doing that, injectors, 1.15 housing on the 38r, that I can't really isolate that aspect. However, the boots for the intercooler were pretty much shot by the oil and they were less than 2 years old. I replaced them when I reassembled the truck they were so bad.

·
Catfish Mafia
397 Posts
i just unplugged my ccv. it breathes into the engine bay now. when i pulled my intercooler, i probably got a pint of oil out. the truck had over 200k on it when i did it, so thats not a BUNCH of oil, but enough to notice. i rinsed it with some simple green and let it sit overnight. no performance gain really, just a clean airway :)

·
owner/president
2,768 Posts
I've been seeing that a lot of you guys are doing the CCV mod to reduce the amount oil in the CAC tubes and intercooler.

I was wondering, has anyone actually removed the intercooler and attemted to drain the oil out? If so, how much oil was removed.

Is the oil actually a problem?

If I do it, I don't want oil to drip from the hose onto my driveway. What have people done to prevent this?
Install or build yourself an oil catch can at the end of your tube out of pvc.Use the search button,theres alot of info on this mod.International did not design thier motors to dump that back into the intake.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts