Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I posted this in the towing section but only got a couple responses. I am wondering if anyone has a problem towing with 35 inch tires and 3:73 gears? I only tow a 26 ft travel trailer that is 4700 lbs dry and maybe 5500 loaded. My truck in sig seems to work prety hard to pull this small load. I have gone through the entire truck and can't find anything wrong with it. I know my friend had same truck as mine but a 2001 with 35 inch tires and tows a 37 ft toyhauler that is about 13000 lbs loaded. He says he can do it no problem. Just wanted some feedback from others. I see everyone on here tows much more wieght than me, how many do it with bigger tires and a lift with no problems? On my last trip I only got 8.5 MPG this can't be normal, and the best I can get unloaded is 13 MPG.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I never look in the towing section.....
Our truck runs pretty hot with 3.73's a 4 inch lift and 35's. Loaded or not.
And she averages 16 unloaded. Don't remember loaded.

Be sure you don't have a boost leak anywhere.

·
it's an 02 05 08
930 Posts
im runnin 35s with a 4in lift and 3:73s and it tows pretty good,seems to run cool,i do have a turbo which helps,its all about the tunning and how you drive IMO

·
Registered
210 Posts
I pulled my 28ft. TT from Alaska to Texas w/ 6"lift & 38'" tires with no problem, had plenty of pedal left and egt's stayed low. MPG was around 13.
How is your tranny? How high are EGT's, and what is your cruising speed?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My Egt's out of O/D are 800ish doing 60-65 flat ground. On a grade they can climb to 1100+ pretty fast. My tranny is good just ran some test runs while towing with AE hooked up and could not find any problems. It just feels like I am pulling something much heavier than 5500 lbs. I guess I am a little frustrated at the MPG.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
do you tow in or out of O/D?

·
Registered
561 Posts
1600 is easy towing if I don't watch it lol.... Keep it at or below 1200 though. Preferably below.

·
Registered
210 Posts

·
FNG
6,018 Posts
My 7.3 with 3.73's and 35s towed just fine. Towed a 40 ft gooseneck at about 20k weight many times.

My 6.0 with 3.73s and 35s loves it as well

·
Registered
84 Posts
I tow a 36' gooseneck with 37s no problem EGTs around 1000 pulling 65mph in drive tranny temp 185

1 - 11 of 11 Posts