Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 01' F250 4x4 with a 7.3l, and I have a 2000 F250 4x4 with a 5.4l. On the front calipers on the diesel I have the abs sensor wiring that is plugged into the calipers. On the 5.4l I have the wires coming from the harness, but they are just hanging there, and so there is nothing electrical plugged into the calipers like on my diesel.

My question is, was there a place to plug into the calipers at one time on the 5.4l trucks also. i am trying to go over this truck to make it road worthy again, and I saw those plugs hanging down in the wheel well, and it has me a little worried. Do I need to get new wiring to caliper, or new calipers with the plugs on them so I can hook those up or is it normal for these to not be hooked up in the lightly older truck with the gasser engine? Your feedback is always appreciated.

·
Horsepower Enthusiast
370 Posts
I'm guessing you're talking about the wires routing along the brake hoses?

The ABS wires for the 5.4 mount on the topside of the wheel well/frame area. If the clips are broken you can use zipties as long as you leave enough slack for movement.

Can you post pics up of what you're trying to do? Kind've hard to tell by the description.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can see that they usually route on the brake hose, but mine are not connected to anything. They usually connect at the caliper as the final point of connection right? I just have the plugs there, and dangling and they are not connected to the calipers at all. So i guess my abs doesn't work if they are not connected to a sensor right? Not just asking about routing, I am trying to figure out if these are indeed supposed to be connected to the caliper or not?

·
Horsepower Enthusiast
370 Posts
No they don't connect to the caliper, thats whats throwing me off in your description.

The wire should go from the wheel bearing assy, thats where the tone ring is.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, It looked like it might have been to the caliper on the 7.3l truck that I have, that is in place and working fine. They are not connected to anything on the 5.4l truck, I guess that is a problem right?

·
Horsepower Enthusiast
370 Posts
On the 7.3 they go to the wheel bearing assy as well, just into the top of the sealed unit, it's held down with an allen bolt and it's under the backing plate.

Wire comes off of that and routes up the brake hose to the frame then behind the plastic wheel well where the connector hardshell is.

If the truck wasn't equipped with four wheel ABS the wires for it were still part of the harness but they just sit on the backside of the wheel well unused.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, maybe mine were never hooked up then. This truck is a XL, and is not loaded with options.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts