Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting head gaskets done in probably a week or so among some other mods. Been waiting for the motor shop to clear up time so I can get my heads in and out in a day or so so I have minimal down time. When I get my heads surfaced should I have them tested for cracks as well? Ive only run the spartan 275 for about 15000 miles. Truck pukes on 275 or higher or you get on it, 250 if you really push it hard. Should I be worried about cracks, how common are they? Also anyone know where on the head or which cylinders are most likely to see cracks just to inform the shop?

·
Cab on installer
2,150 Posts
Check the heads for cracks. No one cylinder is especially bad but the valve seats crack and then the head crack. Crack check before machine work obviously. It's not uncommon to crack heads so be ready to buy new ones.

·
Registered
9,722 Posts
Heads are hit or miss on the 6.4L it seems. Some people have good luck and others don't. When I did studs at 92,000 miles, my heads weren't cracked. The heads were replaced with the short block at 67,000 miles, so they had a decent amount of mileage and abuse. You have a black truck, so your luck may not be very good. :hehe:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea I just have them mag'd then... Your guys posts make me nervous. I would hope the heads could with stand less than 15,000 miles on a 275 tune without cracking.... Guess I should have bought a white truck!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Aww man. I wish I would have never opend this thred.

Haha youre not kidding... maybe we should just delete this whole thread and pretend nothing ever happened :doh:

·
Registered
373 Posts
I am definitely screwed if black trucks are jinxed...lol.

·
zfsix4our
296 Posts
Im sending mine out in a month, I better start praying I guess.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well mine has 96xxx now with probably 14-15000 tuned with the last version 275... how does a machine shop fix the cracks?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I guess we will see in the next week or so. Ive never pulled or drag raced or ran anything ridiculous on the truck so hopefully they wont be... You guys with cracked heads were these trucks seeing more than the average daily drivers conditions... racing, pulling, nitrous, more fueling, long periods on big tunes... ect....

·
Big Plans
784 Posts
Well I guess we will see in the next week or so. Ive never pulled or drag raced or ran anything ridiculous on the truck so hopefully they wont be... You guys with cracked heads were these trucks seeing more than the average daily drivers conditions... racing, pulling, nitrous, more fueling, long periods on big tunes... ect....
Beat the fukk out of my truck, pulled, raced never daily drove on anything below spartan 310 and x street

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.