Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
finally flushed all the old coolant out of the truck after several hours. all i need to do now is add the coolant and distilled water. my question is this. the truck calls for 7 gallons of fluid. i have yet to get 7 gallons of distilled water in it when im flushing. usually at 3 gallons its coming out of the top of the degas bottle. i tried running it, thinking it needed to be burped. when i pulled it back in to check..the bottle was still full. why isn't this thing taking the 7 gallons that it calls for? any ideas?

·
That Guy
1,264 Posts
Id check your radiator hoses, make sure there arent any crimps or blockages. the only other thought would be a thermostat issue, good luck

·
matt
911 Posts
did you drain the block?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No on the block.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im assuming theres still water in the block. since ive flushed it probably 4-6 times, i'll put a couple of straight bottles of coolant in and go from there and keep checking the freezing point. only thing that makes since at this point and time..

·
<--won't start
235 Posts
No on the block.
that is why. There is a block plug on the drivers side that you can get to which will let a bunch more out, i took a shower in coolant when i did mine.

Also a good time to put an adapter thingy in and run a gauge for coolant.

·
Registered
646 Posts
There should be a white plug on the drivers side of the truck about 1" up off the bottom of the rad, that needs to be drained, be careful when you tighten it back in not to over tighten it and crack it. & get a pail ready before you loosen it.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,315 Posts
There is a plug on the passengers side also - above the starter.

Some folks install fumoto valves on them for easy draining.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Easiest flush method to take all the old fluid out is to remove t-stat, undo the little coolant lines from radiator to overflow bottle and line from intake man to bottle and place some clear hose on the radiator nipple and intake manifold nipple and run them out into a large container. Drain all you can from radiator with plug at the bottom driver side. Top truck off with destilled water. Fire truck up and let it idle. You will need to keep topping the bottle off. When you see clear water coming from the clear hoses you have gotten all the old coolant out. Drain one last time. Put your 50% coolant in and top off with water. You now have a complete flush, a perfect 50/50, and didn't have to drive the truck, come back, drain and refill five times or pull the plugs out of the block.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,315 Posts
If you have residual water in the block, you can't get to a 50/50 mix by adding the 50% coolant. You have to add te proper amount of 100% coolant and then top off w/ distilled water.

·
Registered
520 Posts
In a round about way, that's what I meant. If the total cooling capacity is 27.5 qts, throw in 13.75qts of coolant then top off with water.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,315 Posts
I figured that is what you intended to say - just wanted to be sure!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts