Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
I aim to misbehave
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While working on my truck today I noticed the tag on the passenger side valve cover said: "engine is certified for sale in California in new vehicles rated above 14,000 GVWR, engine is OBD II exempt." So does this mean I have a California truck or do all 7.3s tag say that. Plus what does OBD II exempt mean? Also any links on diffenances between California and normal trucks.

Thanks everybody

·
Built not Bought
529 Posts
OBD 2 exempt I believe means that your exempt from emissions system testing. On your other question I don't have the answer to, I've never read in detail my valve cover tag :shrug:

·
Built not Bought
529 Posts
Also I believe that "California" trucks have split shot injectors instead of single shots.

·
I aim to misbehave
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I need to figure out if I can find out through the VIN where this truck is set for. I thought that the Cali trucks requirede more emission stuff - to bad most of it seems to have fallen off my truck.

·
PSN Local
586 Posts
Also I believe that "California" trucks have split shot injectors instead of single shots.
:whs:
99+ require smog here.
So the 97s and older trucks don't.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,329 Posts
As far as I know, there were no differences between cali trucks and 48 state trucks till 97

·
Registered
308 Posts
This is what the sticker on a Cali truck looks like. Also, an easy id is to look for the round "damper" on the fuel pump, which is required for the split-shots.

Attachments

·
I aim to misbehave
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so I'm leaning more toward it's not a Cali truck but I need to check for the damper-don't remember seeing anything unusual and don't really want to pull a cover to see if it has the AB split shots if I don't need to.
The tag on mine is like this: (I'll try for a better one later)

So from the other picture posted above I'd say normal 48 truck.

·
Built not Bought
529 Posts
I believe that Cali trucks also had a different setup when it came to the Glow plug relay, I'm not positive on what's different about it but if someone else can chime in with what it is that would be an easy way to check as well.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I believe that Cali trucks also had a different setup when it came to the Glow plug relay, I'm not positive on what's different about it but if someone else can chime in with what it is that would be an easy way to check as well.
They have a shunt on the glow plug relay.

·
Registered
308 Posts
They have a shunt on the glow plug relay.
This is the shunt, looks like a metal bracket mounted on an insulator. It is used to measure the current (amps) flowing to the glow plugs. The PCM will give a code if a glow plug is out.

Also, I believe that the valve cover labels for the Cali's are blue, others are black.

DR

Attachments

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
The california trucks (late 96 and 97) have the split shot injectors, the fuel pulse dampener (aka starship enterprise) on the back end of the fuel pump, the glowplug monitoring shunt on the GPR, and different wiring/pimouts on the PCM. Cheers!

·
I aim to misbehave
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Damn wish I wasn't getting so many conflicting answers (although you guys have been the best & most consistant) As for the mfg date the door tag reads 11/95 so it'd be an early '96. So judging by the following without pulling a valve cover I'm saying non-California truck:

No GPR shunt - just mounted at a funny angle

Engine tag is black

Fuel pump - I don't see anything looking like a "diaphram" or "spaceship"

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
Thats not the fuel pump, that's the FPR-Fuel pressure regulator which is on the driver side of the fuel bowl. The fuel pump is in the valley of the motor between the turbo and fuel bowl.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
It won't matter after seeing those photos. There are no special "California" things on your truck (the California and 49-state are all the same for your model). Cheers!

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
This is why I hate switching to a new mfg, I don't know where things are.
No worries you've come to the right place for assistance :psn: read lots ask away.... and in no time you'll be boltin all sorts o stuff on....heh heh. What's the history on your truck? CCSB....nice...my fav....

jrc

·
I aim to misbehave
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I actually know very little since the PO didn't know anything. The PO didn't do any of his own maintenance, it was all done at Walmart, dealerships or specialty shops - and after some of the stuff he told me they said it's a wonder the truck still runs. The origonal owner was supposed to have had the truck in Texas most of its life and did alot to it but specifics are unknown.
Whats bad is this is my 3rd PSD, but the other 2 were SD and required nothing more than maintenance and 1 transmission over the combined 5 years I had them so alot of this stuff is new to me.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
I actually know very little since the PO didn't know anything. The PO didn't do any of his own maintenance, it was all done at Walmart, dealerships or specialty shops - and after some of the stuff he told me they said it's a wonder the truck still runs. The origonal owner was supposed to have had the truck in Texas most of its life and did alot to it but specifics are unknown.
Whats bad is this is my 3rd PSD, but the other 2 were SD and required nothing more than maintenance and 1 transmission over the combined 5 years I had them so alot of this stuff is new to me.
Gottcha...was wondering the history as the Valve Covers are yellow and was wondering if the whole engine was too? Yellow is not stock colouring that all...and welcome lots to learn here great site..

jrc

1 - 20 of 20 Posts