Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my Pyro and boost gauges on sunday and love 'em! However, those green LED's are super bright! like green spotlights! I have them tapped in to my dimmer so they dim w/ the dash lights but are still bright! I was wondering if I could tap a resistor in-line to them on the illumination wire to dim them down just a hair? I would think so.... and if so, what size resistor? My Ohm's law training is escaping me right now!!!!!! Need a refresher/guidance. And if it can't be done, oh well. Just an idea.

-Ryan

·
-Adam
7 Posts
You can use resistors, and it works great. The challenge is trying to find out what resistors to use. Autometer also sales a dimmer just for this.

Auto Meter

Why don't you post some pics. I would like to see how it turned out. I am planing on the same guages on my 04.

·
Canadian Stroker
577 Posts
If you find a headlight switch out of a car that dims when you turn the knob. You can wire it inline and adjust it to your liking.:D

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So my question now is: If I wire a dimmer in line, or any potentiometer or rheostat i guess, that's just in-line and will alter the signal given from my factory dimmer? So that even with something in line, it will still dim and brighten via my factory dimmer? once I've dialed in the one that's "in-line" which will basically just change the brightness ratio from dash lights to pillar gauges.... in a sense.... or in lamen's terms

·
Registered
15,561 Posts
if you wire the dimmer inline with the hot wire that powers the lights and the lights them self they will dim and not the dash lights.

basically putting the dimmer between the lights and the factory light switch

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I dont understand. They dim with the dash lights now, so if I put an additional resistance in line between where they (gauge lights) are powered from now, and the gauges themself, why wouldnt they still dim with the factory dimmer? I'll just have to try it and see. Everyone's ideas have definitely got my thinking cap on now.

·
-Adam
7 Posts
If you put the additional dimmer between your hot wire, and your guages you will have the effect you want. Your guages will still dim with the dash lights, but you will be able to dial in the guages, and get them to match the brightness of your dash.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts