Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a autometer pyro about 2 years old and it just stopped reading one day. Checked power and ground both good. Put it in a buddies truck works great. Checked all probe wires for continuity, good. Is the probe itself common failure? Anyone out there know what I can look for as far as input signal ie ohms, voltage? Couldn't find #### on their site

·
<---F350 DRIFTER
516 Posts
Did you just pull the guage only to try on your buddys truck? Perhaps where your wires connect to the probe the ends are touching it will ground out then and not work.???
Good luck

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Think it's gotta be my prob. I checked all that as stated in my first post. Sorry I really just was hoping someone knew the type of signal they read wether it is ohms or voltage. Thanks though

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
If you are talking about the probe itself they generate tiny amounts of electricity. Google type K thermocouple and you will get some info.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
look through the wiring between the gauge and thermocouple to make sure you didn't rub something into a short or break

·
Terminator Nation
5,119 Posts
Pull out the thermocouple sensor and swap it into your buddy's truck. If his pyrometer reads with your sensor and your meter works in his truck, then you have a harness problem. either an open or a short between the leads or to ground.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll try that. Thanks guys. Let you know what does er

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome thank you

·
Registered
817 Posts
Just disconnect the probe wires from the back of the gauge and measure with a decent digital multimeter (one with a millivolt setting). Positive goes to the yellow wire, negative to the red (I know, it seems backwards). With the truck stone cold (the exhaust about the same temp as the truck interior) you should see zero volts. With the engine running at an idle, you should see about 5.2 or 5.3 millivolts across the wires, and it should go up as you give it throttle. If you don't see that response at the wires, then check for continuity between the ends of the leadwires. The most common problem I see is the ring terminal connection down near the thermocouple (covered with shrink tubing). Cut away the shrink tubing and disassemble the screws holding the ring terminals, then clean them up with scotchbrite and reassemble then coat with dielectric grease and re-cover with shrink tubing (but don't forget to slide the shrink tubing on before you assemble the screws!).

Regards,
Michael Pliska

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome info. This is the response I've been hoping for all along. I have a great meter and lots of electrical diagnosis experience but didn't know what I was looking for on what wires. This should settle it! Thank you!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts