Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
PSN nerd
2,301 Posts
custom made headers the $1000 price tag is CHEAP. I bet the first set took someone that does it for a living 40-60hrs not to mention the overhead.

They are awesome my new motor is gonna get a set

·
Registered
363 Posts
I'm just a dummy.:pointlaugh:

·
All done now
22,486 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
My headers are ceramic coated, and I stupidly didn't check to see that the threads were clear in the DS header bung. I broke 3 taps trying to clear that crap out of the threads while on the truck, and finally just plugged it and drilled and tapped one of the flats on the bottom of the headers.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Okay, I looked at both headers more closely. Both have a flat spot for creating your own opening and they both have a bung welded in them.

I'm not sure which header is the right and which is the left.

The header with the most bends and most tubes meeting near the collector, has a bung and flat spot right near the collector end.

The header that is mostly straight with one long straight pipe having the other three enter it, has a flat spot at the collector end and a bung at the opposite end in the front most tube next to the gasket.

Now a few questions.

• What is the best thing to use to seal the unused bung?

• What is the best place for the pyro sensor to go?

• Are there any OEM sensors that need to go into the new headers?

• Would there ever be a need for all 4 ports to be used?

·
Lovin Life...
2,900 Posts
Okay, I looked at both headers more closely. Both have a flat spot for creating your own opening and they both have a bung welded in them.

I'm not sure which header is the right and which is the left.

The header with the most bends and most tubes meeting near the collector, has a bung and flat spot right near the collector end.

Driver's side

The header that is mostly straight with one long straight pipe having the other three enter it, has a flat spot at the collector end and a bung at the opposite end in the front most tube next to the gasket.

Passenger side

Now a few questions.

• What is the best thing to use to seal the unused bung?

I used a pipe plug. Has survived hot temps so far

• What is the best place for the pyro sensor to go?

I originally had it mounted in the threaded fitting on the driver's side manifold. It hit the firewall when I reinstalled motor. Put in into the flat spot on that header

• Are there any OEM sensors that need to go into the new headers?

Backpressure sensor for motor is suposed to go into the passenger side header at the front

• Would there ever be a need for all 4 ports to be used?

You could add sensors for backpressure and egt probe for water injection.
Some pics to help...

Backpressure sensor line that I made after the stocker wouldn't fit properly.

I've never gotten a solid understanding if you need that sensor or not.
Hope that helps.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
No website for em damn. well important question is are they cheaper to buy direct?
alot of items are the same price via another vendor ...for example a dp chip cost the same from jody or itp.

nice looking engine build...and the new ebvp line looks better then the stocker anyway.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Some pics to help...

Backpressure sensor line that I made after the stocker wouldn't fit properly.

I've never gotten a solid understanding if you need that sensor or not.
Hope that helps.
Excellent info! Thanks for the details and the pics. :postwhore2:

Is the pipe plug a ¼" NPT? Do you think these can be found in SS.

Also, did you use SS fasteners, or the ones that came with the headers?

·
Lovin Life...
2,900 Posts
Excellent info! Thanks for the details and the pics. :postwhore2:

Glad to be able to help

Is the pipe plug a ¼" NPT? Do you think these can be found in SS.

That is what I remember it being. Wouldn't see why not

Also, did you use SS fasteners, or the ones that came with the headers?

I used what David sent.
Something I remember, you will need to start all the bolts in there holes before setting the header tight to the head. This is required because some of them are too long to get past the pipe bends if you have the header all the way against the heads.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
That's good advice on the bolts. Any advice on doing headers and up pipes at the same time? I'm planning a turbo upgrade at the same time too. I'm not sure if I should tackle the headers on a separate occasion before all the other parts. Is there any benefit to doing the headers and up pipes at the same time?

·
Crazy Talk
3,537 Posts
fwiw on my obs the ebp sensor is layin on the dash of my work van and the wires have been removed from the harness.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts